N2+ GPU drivers crash or X crashes or a Monitor Problem

Armbianmonitor:

X windows system on term 7. turns black and then the Monitor goes in Power Saving modus.

But the others terms still work ( not 100 percent sure ). Strangely enough that this happens only shortly after switching on.

But if I cut the Power or reboot then it will run 24 hours or longer. Haven't tested more than 24 h.

I recognize that late that I could switch to other terms i.e. term 1.

At first I thought that the N2+ was under powered and tried another PSU but later I saw that only X window system on term 7 has crashed.

Music per bluetooth continued playing. What I did was making updates before it happening.

ii  armbian-buster-desktop                21.02.2                              all          Armbian desktop for Debian buster
ii  armbian-config                        21.02.4                              all          Armbian configuration utility
ii  armbian-firmware-full                 21.02.4                              all          Linux firmware-full
ii  hostapd                               3:2.9-102~armbian20.05.2+1           arm64        IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
ii  htop                                  3.1.0-0~armbian20.08.2+1             arm64        interactive processes viewer
ii  linux-base                            4.6                                  all          Linux image base package
ii  linux-buster-root-current-odroidn2    21.02.4                              arm64        Armbian tweaks for buster on odroidn2 (current branch)
ii  linux-dtb-current-meson64             21.02.4                              arm64        Linux DTB, version 5.10.27-meson64
ii  linux-image-current-meson64           21.02.4                              arm64        Linux kernel, version 5.10.27-meson64
ii  linux-libc-dev:arm64                  4.19.181-1                           arm64        Linux support headers for userspace development
ii  linux-u-boot-odroidn2-current         21.02.4                              arm64        Uboot loader 2015.01

Please retry with most recent version of Armbian

I have this same issue on the Odroid N2+, I was hoping the recent updates would solve it, but it's still happening (using Focal 21.05.1 / 5.10.34). I will be switching to Buster to see if I have better luck there.

The monitor suddenly goes into powersave/suspend mode, like Arne pointed out it seems to happen shortly after switching on (within 2-5 minutes). It occurs on both my 27" Benq monitor and 5VU touchscreen both running over HDMI. The fix is simple enough, I can either turn the Benq monitor on/off to get back the connection or the 5VU will re-activate if I touch the screen.  

After reacquiring/reconnecting both monitors stay on just fine after that. I've had them both running for 24-hours straight without the monitors turning off. So it seems to be something that happens once after boot.

For what it's worth, I've noticed it happens more often when I'm quickly switching to and dragging a window (for example moving Terminal to get to Firefox). Also if I double-click on the HDMI script that's in /usr/local/bin it can sometimes turn the monitor off (yes I know I'm not supposed to double-click the script, but old habits die hard).

Otherwise, I wanna say, you guys have done a great job with Armbian on the N2+, aside from that issue, it's running really smooth for me. Armbian runs my audio software better than all the other ARM distros I've tried!

Edited by Groove On

I am unable to duplicate this problem in Armbian Buster / Odroid N2+. I've been running it today for around 2-3 hours with multiple reboots and it's working fine. XFCE installed via armbian-config.

Linux odroidn2 5.10.34-meson64 #21.05.1 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 6 21:24:14 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

But it's still happening on Armbian Focal / Odroid N2+ - screen goes off/into powersave mode? 2-5 minutes after booting up. After getting the screen back (on/off) it's fine and stays up.

Hi, I have the same problem. After booting to desktop within 2-5 minutes the monitor reports no HDMI signal. I have to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable or in armbian-config choose disable desktop and re-enable desktop (with autologin). Then the picture goes back and does no fall out. Based on forum here I tested another PSU adapter 12V/2A and same problem. Turn monitor OFF and ON with no luck. Must unplug HDMI cable.

Latest updated Linux Focal 21.05.2 with Fxce

Linux version 5.10.34-meson64 (root@hirsute) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 8.3-2019.03 (arm-rel-8.36)) 8.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 8.3-2019.03 (arm-rel-8.36)) XXX.XXX.0.20190321) #21.05.1 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 6 21:24:14 UTC 2021

UPDATE:

Installed latest Armbian 21.05.4 Buster with Linux 5.10.43-meson64 on Odroid N2+ and via armbian-config Desktop Fxce + full-upgrade.

All ok and HDMI NO SIGNAL BUG missing.

Seems the Buster has older SW but is STABLES.

---

So i get to new clean system and install old Armbian 21.05.1 Focal with Linux 5.10.34-meson64 for Odroid N2+.
Here the HDMI NO SIGNAL BUG missing - no problem with missing HDMI signal after login to desktop.

I upgrade system:
apt update
apt upgrade

Now have Armbian 21.05.4 Focal with Linux 5.10.43-meson64.
The HDMI NO SIGNAL BUG present. F_ck :D

!!! BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU USE THIS ARMBIAN IMAGE (ON ODROID N2) AND GO TO UPGRADE !!!

What upgrades:
  alsa-utils armbian-bsp-cli-odroidn2 armbian-config armbian-firmware armbian-focal-desktop-xfce armbian-zsh
  bluez bluez-obexd devhelp-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common firefox
  gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-mutter-6 gir1.2-polkit-1.0
  gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 gnome-shell gnome-shell-common gstreamer1.0-plugins-base hostapd initramfs-tools
  initramfs-tools-bin initramfs-tools-core isc-dhcp-client libasound2 libasound2-data libatopology2
  libbluetooth3 libcamel-1.2-62 libdevhelp-3-6 libebackend-1.2-10 libebook-1.2-20 libebook-contacts-1.2-3
  libecal-2.0-1 libedata-book-1.2-26 libedata-cal-2.0-1 libedataserver-1.2-24 libedataserverui-1.2-2
  libexiv2-27 libflatpak0 libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgoa-1.0-0b libgoa-1.0-common libgstreamer-gl1.0-0
  libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libhogweed5 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 liblz4-1
  libmutter-6-0 libmysqlclient21 libnettle7 libnss-myhostname libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin
  libpam-runtime libpam-systemd libpam0g libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libprocps8 libpython3.8
  libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common
  libsmbclient libssl-dev libssl1.1 libsystemd0 libudev1 libwacom-common libwacom2 libwbclient0
  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libwebp6 libwebpdemux2 libwebpmux3 libx11-6 libx11-data libx11-xcb1 libxml2 lightdm
  linux-dtb-current-meson64 linux-image-current-meson64 linux-libc-dev linux-u-boot-odroidn2-current lz4
  mutter mutter-common openssl policykit-1 procps python-apt-common python3-apport python3-apt
  python3-distupgrade python3-distutils python3-lib2to3 python3-problem-report python3-samba
  python3-software-properties python3-update-manager python3-yaml python3.8 python3.8-minimal samba
  samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs smbclient software-properties-common systemd systemd-sysv
  thunderbird ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk udev update-manager
  update-manager-core update-notifier update-notifier-common

UPDATE:

YES, the PROBLEM present, if ENABLES RDP.

full-upgrade the old Armbian 21.05.1 Focal with Linux 5.10.34-meson64 for Odroid N2+ to latest Armbian 21.05.4 Focal with Linux 5.10.43-meson64 and ALL OK.

Any solution???

Here is armbianmonitor file: http://ix.io/3qxh

---

On the old Armbian 21.05.1 Focal with Linux 5.10.34-meson64 for Odroid N2+ the HDMI NO SIGNAL BUG is also present too, WITHOUT SYSTEM UPGRADES!

What i installed when the error occurs:
via armbian-config: enable RDP for "multiple" connection from Windows
+ RDP fix for multiple sessions - if connection not work !!!
  sudo nano /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh
  Add to very top:
    # Allow multiple sessions
    unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
    unset XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
  sudo systemctl restart xrdp

I think, that the error occur when enable and confiruge RDP.
But I'm not sure, because I've made other adjustments, than the display communicated NO HDMI SIGNAL.

Edited by Michal.
Includes armbianmonitor file