dev/spidev2.0 disappeared with latest Armbian

prcarp

Hi,

I have been using Armbian for the Tinker Board S for quite a while and communications with my peripherals using /dev/spidev2.0 had been working fine. I just did a an apt update and then an apt dist-upgrade and now it appears that /dev/spidev2.0 is gone. The /boot/armbianEnv.txt looks fine (untouched) and still has spi2 and spidev2 listed in the overlays.

I did see that the dist-upgrade touched the rockchip overlay and I am trying to figure out what changed there. In the meantime, is there a way to get spidev2.0 back?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Details.

broken w/ Armbian Buster with kernel 5.10.34-rockchip  #21.05.01 w/ XFCE

worked w/ Armbian Buster 5.10.30-rockchip #trunk on 4/14/2021.

I see some recent Tinker / Rockchip mods on github regarding eMMC and the dtb files. I am wondering if the changes have not been completely vetted yet. I wish I knew more about these overlays to contribute so in the meantime I will wait and do more research.

• prcarp changed the title to dev/spidev2.0 disappeared with latest Armbian

@Wener: Thanks. I was trying to get around to that but the unit is off the grid and it takes some hardware mods to make a LAN connection.

Here is the armbianmonitor -u output:

http://ix.io/3oKn

Also, in my digging, I saw in the decompiled dtb file that spi@ff130000 has a status of "disabled" and so I changed it to "okay" with the armbian-config tool (understanding that it is a work in progress). /dev/spidev2.0 was still not there. I was going to compare the .dts file from the latest to a known working one but there appears to be a lot of changes. Device tree files are a bit of black magic to me. I am assuming I am pointing to the rk3288-tinker-s.dt* files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.