Armbian Focal kernel 5.16.y not starting on Orange Pi Zero 2

munecito

The stable armbian Focal image with Kernel 5.16.y fails to initialize the board. If I install the kernel 4.19.y image it does work in both Focal and Bullseye but when I try to change the kernel from armbian -config then it installs but on reboot it fails once again to reinitialise the board.

I am using an orange pi zero 2 1gb.

Just a couple of days ago Orange pi released two new images (Bullseye and Focal) with kernel 5.16 and 5.13 respectively. They do work and install. Although I would prefer to use armbian to the orange pi versions of it.

Maybe someone can have a look at those two images to compare them with armbian to see where do they differ and why one fails to start the board while the other ones work

orange pi official Bullseye (Debian) images

orange pi official Focal and bionic (Ubuntu) images

Thanks.

If you look closely "stable" is in the userspace column which means the userspace, in this case Focal, is stable. It has nothing to do with kernel.

Only legacy kernel is expected to boot, others are experimental and can break at any time.

Armbian does not deal with vendor images.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Werner said:

If you look closely "stable" is in the userspace column which means the userspace, in this case Focal, is stable. It has nothing to do with kernel.

Only legacy kernel is expected to boot, others are experimental and can break at any time.

Armbian does not deal with vendor images.

Hello Werner.

Thank you for your answer.

I saw that Focal says it is stable, however the board fails to start with the focal images. The only image that runs on the Orange Pi Zero 2 1Gb that I have is the bullseye one.