CPU temperature readout

Robert Heller

When I login on the console, there is this display with a bunch of information, including the CPU temp.  I have need to keep track of my CPU's temp, since it seems to be overheating (I have a heat sink on it, but does not seem to be enough -- I have a fan on order).  I want to be able to check the temp from time to time, so I would like to run at least the part of the login banner program.  What program is that?  I am not seeing anything obvious in /bin.

2 minutes ago, Werner said:

the motd temp comes from /etc/armbianmonitor/soctemp

OK, that is some large integer (and that is the wrong pathname -- the correct one is /etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp, which is a symlink to /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input).  How is that converted to something like centagrade, etc.?  That is what units are the values under /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/?

BTW: I was already away of /sys/class/hwmon/.  I am looking for a more "human friendly" output, which I presume exists, since the motd output has it.  Or are you telling me that every time I want to check the CPU temp I need to go to a blank virtual term and log in?

3 minutes ago, Robert Heller said:

/etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp

Yes, my bad.

I know it is a symlink but I was not sure if that does not differ depending on SoC ;)

I just wanted to write about those scripts in /etc/update-motd.d you mentioned but you were faster :)