Odd HDMI / Onkyo Receiver issue - Please Help!

BJWTech

Hello all you awesome community members!

So I got this Pine a64+ during their Kickstarter campaign. Initially I used it as a little play desktop. I never really found a use for it until very recently.

I decided to use it as a little software Squeezebox client. I installed Armbian 22.04 server. I then setup alsa to use the HDMI audio as default output. I installed squeezelite and it immediately found and connected to my LMS (Logitech Media Server) running on my server. At this point I figured all was good. The sound was working great through my receiver.

The next morning (Sunday) the kids could not get the TV sound to work. So of course they woke me up on the only day I can sleep in a bit. :)

I assumed the Onkyo TX-SR393 receiver was on the wrong Input. After checking it out, it was on the correct input. Speaker output was correct. It made no sense. I rebooted both the receiver and the TV yet the problem persisted. Still no sound from the TV. Finally I decided to unplug the HDMI to the Pine64. Right away the sound came back for the TV.

I chalked it up to a fluke. It was not, as on Monday morning the same thing happened. Again, only fix was to unplug the HDMI from the Pine64.

Setup Info;

• The TV is using HDMI to connect to the Onkyo on the CEC/ARC channel.
  • Video seems unaffected on both the TV and Pine64
  • I did not test if sound was borked on the Pine64 during these issues (I was just trying to get the TV up for the kids :) )
  • `dmesg` on the Pine64 does not show anything pertinent that I can discern
  • The TV/Receiver were off overnight and the Pine64 was on.

If anyone could suggest some possible causes/solutions/tests I could do to get closer to a fix I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!