Quartz 64A LXDE and XFCE cursor flickering and slowing down the entire desktop

LovelyA72
Go to solution Solved by balbes150,

While using my Quartz64A I am getting cursor flickering while moving the cursor. While I move the cursor everything else just stops and only continues after the cursor stops moving.

glxinfo is reporting mesa is able to find Mali G52 but I am having a feeling the GPU is not helping the desktop rendering here.

1. LXDE is not used in official Armbian images, where did you get such a system from?

2. the full name of the image used and where it was obtained is not specified.

3. The desktop settings parameters and which monitor is used and how it is connected are not specified.

There are no flickers on my test sample, everything works without problems on the monitor in 1080p (1920x1080х60hz) mode.

13 hours ago, balbes150 said:

1. LXDE is not used in official Armbian images, where did you get such a system from?

2. the full name of the image used and where it was obtained is not specified.

3. The desktop settings parameters and which monitor is used and how it is connected are not specified.

Hi balbes150, sorry for the late response but I can only post once a day.

1. I manually installed lxde since the issue also happens in xfce. The "Desktop" installer in armbian-config does not help since it installs a full ubuntu with snapd which I wish to avoid on such a slow machine.

2. I downloaded my image from here https://github.com/armbian/build/releases/download/22.11.0-trunk.0010/Armbian_22.11.0-trunk.0010_Quartz64a_jammy_edge_5.19.7.img.xz

3. My display was 1920*1080 75hz. I switched to 60hz but it does not help.

thanks

• Solution
16 часов назад, LovelyA72 сказал:

I manually installed lxde since the issue also happens in xfce. The "Desktop" installer in armbian-config does not help since it installs a full ubuntu with snapd which I wish to avoid on such a slow machine.

If you plan to use the desktop, be sure to use desktop images, only they have the correct optimization and configuration of working in DE mode, if you try to install DE yourself on top of the minimum\server version, you will have to perform all the configuration manually. Quartz64 works great with the desktop, it already has hardware acceleration and allows you to watch full-screen video up to 1080p without problems. Try the DE version from here, I test them regularly and haven't seen any problems with the desktop.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/xMVoaZXFFcWuog

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16312

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

allows you to watch full-screen video up to 1080p without problems.

Thank you! I downloaded this file https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/quartz64/Armbian_22.11.0-trunk_Quartz64a_jammy_current_5.19.7_xfce_desktop.img.xz and the cursor is way much smother. However I still notice that when I move the cursor everything else stops. Including video, other activities, and menu item. Is this a known issue?

3 часа назад, LovelyA72 сказал:

When the cursor is moving, whatever is running on the desktop temporally stops until the cursor comes to a stop. I am guessing because CPU or GPU spent all its power drawing the cursor and nothing else.

This is observed when playing a video, if you need a video, use Libreelec, there is a special optimization and HW accelerated modes are used for decoding.