First run stuck with ssh key generation / Cubietruck RTC bug

Vadim Kovzunov

I install Debian jessie vanilla kernel 4.1.6

At the first loading gives out a mistake: failed to bring up eth0. Ip the address isn't given on dhcp.

But on my router it is specified correctly.

I can't change settings. First start. the system expects reset and connection. That it is possible to make in this case.

Repeated reset and expectation doesn't yield results. The keyboard doesn't work

Another issue is a bit weird but you will need to have a working keyboard for that. Some boards hangs if rt clock setting is invalid so you need to set it manually. I guess old kernel 3.4.108 is working ok?

BTW: USB works only if you power via power connector.

Sorry, I incorrectly told. The keyboard and usb works perfectly. CTRL+alt+del reboots system. Yes, the old kernel works without problems. The IP address is given and everything works.

At me is Debian on the computer. I tried to connect a memory card to it and to register static ip the address manually. In file/etc/network/interfaces so:

auto lo

iface lo inet loobback

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.1.34

netmask 255.255.255.0

But it didn't help. The mistake repeats. Or I was mistaken and it is necessary to specify the address in the file:

/ etc/network/interfaces.default?

If I understand correctly your eth0 is not initialized properly. This is a know issues on some boards ... cut the power off then on (not reboot). Something setting a real time clock is a workaround solution to this.

Perhaps u-boot hardware initialization needs some optimization.

Setting an fixed IP won't solve this problem.

Whether this problem can be connected with that on an old kernel 3.4.108 I executed a script cd /root ./nand-sata-install to transfer system to ssd. The script was executed. The system asked reset. But there was a set of mistakes and cyclic reset. After that I copied a new image of jessie vanilla kernel 4.1.6 on the card and I try to establish it.

Perhaps therefore there is a mistake?

Whether it is worth formatting my ssd a disk?

Hi,

I put the latest armbian image on my sd card and boot. The installation is stuck with the ssh key generation for more than 15 minutes. I tried again (downloaded image again, flashed again, ...) same result.

From the manual I know this should take about 3 minutes. What is going wrong?

Thanks, 

H.

- which hardware and which image exactly

- do you have internet connection

- anything connected to the board?

- Cubietruck, Debian Wheezy Vanilla, Version 4.1.6

- Network is connected, however the device is not visible when I scan the network

- a SATA drive, a keyboard and a screen (obviously =) are connected

PS: Screen went black in the meantime without any further notice.

I download exact image and burn it to the SD card. Everything is normal.

If device fails to init - cut the power and try again.

If screen goes off just like that, than power supply can be a problem.

P.S.

Some boards have odd problem - you need to set RTC clock otherwise you could end up without eth0.

You assumption about the RTC clock was right. I could see some debug prints on the boot screen that say something like eth0 couldn't be enabled cause of RTC issues.

I don't really understand this. The device runs since 1.5 years without any problem. 

This bug emerged within last few months and affect only some boards. I am not aware if this is already fixed, perhaps in recent u-boot.

Since my board works well is hard for me to "fix the problem which does not exists" ;)

However, we can do this together. I can build few test builds or you or anyone else can try to get an working combination. Most likely we should pick some older u-boot and lost some functions.

PS

I am moving later this thread to Allwinner subforum and pin it.

Last night I already googled for RTC clock reset (or so). The post said you need a power source of some specific voltage and you connect that to certain pins. I am very sure I would brick my device when trying that as I do not have the things needed but bad luck ^^ Unfortunately, I don't find that post at the moment...

But honestly I wonder if those two problems, the ssh key generation and the RTC causes the eth0 to be down, are really related. I do not see any connection.

So Vadim and me seem to have the same issue, right?

But I have an old but running installation that boots from nand... What would happen when I perform the reset procedure Igor described above within the running installation, shut down and insert the sd card? 

PS: what does this actually do?

hwclock -r --> read time from hardware

date -s "2015-01-01 10:10:00" --> set OS system time

hwclock -w --> set hardware clock to OS system time?

Yes, the issue is the same.

Also now I am able to recreate it.

When I boot to kernel 3.4.108 and soft reboot to 4.1.6 almost always results in this error.

Working on fix.