Armbian + EFI\grub + NVMe

balbes150

8 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Describe in detail all the steps to install on NVMe.

I recorded the latest version of your page, version 23_04_01 of the yandex page. I recorded it to an sd memory. i boot from there and and delete nvme disk with gparted and create ext4 partition. I run armbian-config to install to the nvme drive. I give ok to that and to record spi. I try to boot from nvme without sd and I get that wrong uuid message.

15 часов назад, aguapi сказал:

I recorded the latest version of your page, version 23_04_01 of the yandex page. I recorded it to an sd memory. i boot from there and and delete nvme disk with gparted and create ext4 partition. I run armbian-config to install to the nvme drive. I give ok to that and to record spi. I try to boot from nvme without sd and I get that wrong uuid message.

After installation, restart the system from the SD card and check which UUIDs are actually assigned to NVMe and check what is specified in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and etc/fstab on NVMe. If they don't match the real one, change it to the correct one. If this does not help, then the reason is the physical power supply of the device.

8 часов назад, linuxfriend сказал:

any change to get the official fan to work?

I don't have a fan for this connector, I can't check. try

https://github.com/XZhouQD/Rock5B_Naive_Pwm_Fan

On 4/8/2023 at 3:38 AM, balbes150 said:

After installation, restart the system from the SD card and check which UUIDs are actually assigned to NVMe and check what is specified in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and etc/fstab on NVMe. If they don't match the real one, change it to the correct one. If this does not help, then the reason is the physical power supply of the device.

Hello. Thank you very much. Will this charger issue ever be resolved? Hopefully.
I followed the instructions and unfortunately booting from nvme with the sources I have was not possible. We know that Allnet does not work either.
I have two more to try. One that I used with my raspberry pi3, which is microusb and another that I have working is a tv box with a jack output.
So I must get the usb-c/microusb/jack adapter to do the following test.
At the moment I can provide a screenshot that appears at the end of the process of loading the nvme disk with armbian-install. If it's of any use.

Screenshot_20230408-162135.png

How do you see the future of UEFI vs U-boot for Linux on SBC’c in general and on the Rock 5B in particular? 

Will the UEFI version be as capable as a u-boot version or do you see limitations (in one or the other)?

My thinking is that once the UEFI is implemented for a board, it will be just as capable as any U-Boot version, but much more compatible with different distributions and operating systems. It's just "a bit" more work to get to that point... 😉

ver 20230417 current (6.2), edge 6.3-rc7.

09.04.2023 в 15:50, aguapi сказал:

Will this charger issue ever be resolved?

I have no plans to spend time fixing this problem unless a miracle happens and it is fixed in the main kernel.

18.04.2023 в 10:22, Endian сказал:

How do you see the future of UEFI vs U-boot for Linux on SBC’c in general and on the Rock 5B in particular? 

u-boot supports UEFI

Test version 20230421-EDK2-EFI with support for system startup control on a monitor screen with a keyboard, as on a regular PC. Please note, this is a test version and bugs are possible. The process of starting the system before the image appears on the screen may take 10-30 seconds (depends on the speed of the SD card).

Test version 20230421-EDK2-EFI with support for system startup control on a monitor screen with a keyboard

Nice! currently SD centric.. so one needs to watch what's on other devices, and do normal tricks to return to booting from nvme otherwise the expected:

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, KASLR will be disabled
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...
PartitionDriverBindingStop: FlushBlocksEx returned with Success
PartitionDriverBindingStop: FlushBlocksEx returned with Success
EFI stub: ERROR: Exit boot services failed.
EFI stub: ERROR: Failed to update FDT and exit boot services
ConvertPages: Incompatible memory types, the pages to free have been freed
Application failed, r = 1

Edited by rob

On the danger of sounding very stupid:

I downloaded the image Armbian_23.02.3_Rock-5b_sid_edge_6.3.0 and Armbian_23.04_Rock-5b_sid_legacy_5.10.110.

With the edge-image I got no display, so that seems a dead end for me.

With the legacy-image I could start and I could use armbian-install to update the firmware (the powersupply is 12V fixed voltage)

Now I have a booting image on SD and I wonder how I can install the image on NVMe.

The only install-option I see is "7 install mtd block" (which I did). After that I expected a need to reboot and choose option 3 or something like that, but the only available option is option 7.

I can see the nvme-drive and I can make volumes on the nvme using fdisk, but I don't know how to install the system.

The other thing I tried is dd-ing the image to the nvme-drive, but then both nvme and SD-card failed to boot and I found myself rewriting the image on the SD-card.

How can I install Armbian on NVMe using the 23.04-image?

Edited by specs

Pressing escape to enter the UEFI, changing the boot order apparantly was the correct option. (Bypassing the armbian-config script).

After changing the boot option I had to again issue a root password which probably means the installation is started from zero.

Now I need to know if (using the 23.04-legacy image) I can change the kernel to the edge kernel.

PS on the 2304 image: that probably can be counted as a success since I was (relatively easy) able to install the system on a NVMe starting with the Radxa SPi image.

It would be easier to enable the 'normal' armbian-install script than just uploading and dd-ing the image to the nvme, but that's why it is still labelled as "WiP", I guess.

What I want to do soon is decrease the partition size and install an edge image besides the 2304 image, including a recent 6.x-kernel. Any hints on the process are welcome!

It seems that just booting the original SD card is not a working method. A new image booted from UEFI/EDK might be an option,

Edited by specs

19 часов назад, specs сказал:

The only install-option I see is "7 install mtd block" (which I did). After that I expected a need to reboot and choose option 3 or something like that, but the only available option is option 7.

you are trying to install the system with EDK2 - these images do not yet have an installation on NVMe, running only from external media (SD USB). To install on NVMe, you can use images from directories on the site without specifying EDK2.

18 часов назад, specs сказал:

PS on the 2304 image: that probably can be counted as a success since I was (relatively easy) able to install the system on a NVMe starting with the Radxa SPi image.

It would be easier to enable the 'normal' armbian-install script than just uploading and dd-ing the image to the nvme, but that's why it is still labelled as "WiP", I guess.

Direct recording of the entire image on NVMe is a bad practice imposed by ignoramuses who do not know how to properly assemble a system with a normal installation through the armbian-config\armbian-install script. All images from this theme (except versions with EDK2) have a normal installation procedure on NVMe. Use the appropriate images.

18 часов назад, specs сказал:

What I want to do soon is decrease the partition size and install an edge image besides the 2304 image, including a recent 6.x-kernel. Any hints on the process are welcome!

It seems that just booting the original SD card is not a working method. A new image booted from UEFI/EDK might be an option,

Do not install the loader version from the EDK2 image in MTD\SPI, this loader only works with images collected in UEFI mode and does not work with extlinux.con mode, which is used in other images.

Some news about the rock5b + usb2 + uboot.

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2023/04/27/radxa-rock-5b-usb20-host-in-u-boot/

One of the patches seems nice:

Zitat

Some devices share a regulator supply, when the first one will request regulator disable, the second device will have it's supply cut off before graciously shutting down. Hence there will be timeouts and other failed operations. Implement a reference counter mechanism similar with what is done in Linux, to keep track of enable and disable requests, and only disable the regulator when the last of the consumers has requested shutdown.

Well my board has returned, so i get to jump back on this train.  Seems that lots of stuff has happened since i last looked.   is there a TLDR; version i should follow at this point? 

Oh and had them send a metal box with it, since its available now. But green panels... GREEN??

Edited by Nurb432

I still can't boot from nvme without sd. I bought the 12v 3a supply, but I still can't boot with nvme. it detects it, but gets stuck on that black screen. I'm thinking the problem is the nvme hp ex900 drive. but I don't know what to do, I'm afraid to spend on another disk and it won't work either

https://imguh.com/image/msrxg

the image i am using is 20230417-current gnome

update: by chance I got it. I don't know how it didn't occur to me before. when that initrams message came up claiming that there was a missing uuid, it occurred to me to put the card in an sd card reader pendrive and plug it into the rock5 and chan usb socket!!! boot from nvme. i will update ur this situation

update 2: if i remove the pen drive with the sd card, the same thing happens again. initrams/missing uuid

I do not understand what is happening.

update 3: ok i was wrong. it was actually booting from the flash drive. I thought that was only possible from edk2 images. I'm lost.

Edited by pipi
Changes made

.hello. Thanks for answering. All of that has already been done. But my nvme disk boots halfway. She stays in the attempt. I am researching to buy a new disk, but between the fact that they are expensive, and the issue of compatibility, it is very difficult for me. And it's the only thing I need to try. If that doesn't work either, I'll end up ruling that it's a problem with the board and I'll contact the people at radxa

1 час назад, pipi сказал:

All of that has already been done. But my nvme disk boots halfway.

1. Completely erase MTD\SPI from all old versions. If you tried to use the versions from radxa or the official armbian, it will not work correctly.

2. Run the latest legacy version (5.10.110) of this theme from the SD card and completely erase the NVMe.

3. Using a power supply without PD.

4. Only after completing all the previous steps, start the system from the SD card, create a partition on NVMe with EXT4 and run the installation on NVMe+MTD.

Zitat

bought the 12v 3a supply

pipi, I think you should get a correct PSU without PD with 5V and 4A, like in the picture. Then start from scratch with erasing mtd/nvme with dd.
Without this sort of PSU you will always run in possible conflicts which are hard to debug.

7110F4Nd3mL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Well, this isn't quite the recommendation (afaik, did something change from the 5V / 4A Type C?). 
Power Supply is absolutely critical during boot times, and even 5V/3A was not enough when running a desktop, mentioned many many times.

I also had to learn this the hard lesson 😉 Try to get 5V/4A Type C to be sure. 

What happened to me one time after installation was a faulty line in

/etc/fstab 

was

XXXX_EXAMPLE_UUID    /        ext4    defaults,noatime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro,x-gvfs-hide    0    1

instead of

UUID=XXXX_EXAMPLE_UUID    /        ext4    defaults,noatime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro,x-gvfs-hide    0    1

which you could check.

@balbes150

Did you compile mesa from here for kernel 6.2 builds: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost/mesa/-/tree/panfrost/v10-wip ,
I guess this was  https://gitlab.com/panfork/mesa (branch csf) used for legacy kernel?

Edited by fraz0815
formatting

16 часов назад, pipi сказал:

I just did all that down to the smallest detail and I only get half boot.

Show the full UART log, only there you can see real startup errors.

How do you do the installation on NVMe ? To do this, you need to use only armbian-config, do not do any manual copying.

8 часов назад, fraz0815 сказал:

I guess this was  https://gitlab.com/panfork/mesa (branch csf) used for legacy kernel?

This option will not work with kernel 6.2 (pancsfc).

7 часов назад, PavelZh сказал:

I tried lunar but it fails to install panfork-mesa and rockchip-multimedia.

panfork only works with Jammy

7 часов назад, pipi сказал:

The closest thing I found here is this 5v 5a.

If you use a barrel (5.5x2.1) to USB-C adapter with a conventional power supply 12v-3\4A (without PD), this is enough.

Maybe I got just luck but I'm using the 45W PD power adapter from Allnet and don't have any issues with it since almost 6 months now. However I read many posts that this adapter is not working properly. The PD power adapter for my HP Notebook was working without issues too... You can read many posts about different power adapters, but you can't read much about suitable cables. For example I'm using a cable from sony capable of 4A. A random USB-C cable for data transfer is no good choice.

Hello. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I'm going to go for the easiest option for now, which is to buy a new nvme drive, Nvme 250Gb Kingston Nv2, which according to a listing on the radxam forum works fine. Also, according to the same list, the HP EX900 doesn't work directly, and it's the one I'm using. And in the images of balbes the disk is recognized, so I thought it would work, but no.

17 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Muestre el registro completo de UART, solo allí puede ver errores de inicio reales.

¿Cómo se hace la instalación en NVMe? Para hacer esto, necesita usar solo armbian-config, no haga ninguna copia manual.

For now I am left with the complete UART register, because according to the little that I was looking at on the web, it is not something easy to implement. It is not putting a command in the terminal and that's it. And I'm short of time to implement it right now.

I hope I can fix it with the new drive. The truth is that I've had the board for several months and I couldn't make any progress at all because of this nvme and font compatibility issue. I already had to buy a source, even though I had bought the official 30w source, which was what Radxa recommended. And continue the party. Thanks again..

Edited by pipi