Orange PI 5 doesn't boot after firmware update using ARMBIAN beta tool

rogermm

Orange Pi 5 for some reason wont boot form SD card but wil boot from NVME then when i remove the NVME and try and boot soley from SD card with the Ubunutu Jammy server build it wont boot. Any tips for this would be much appreciated. I tried to use the maskrom tool but my computer didnt detect it sadly after holding maskrom and plugging it in and then releasing it.

Apologies for multiple questions lmao super new to linux based systems. So I downloaded the oprangepi jammy image from their website and that booted fine without the nvme installed and with it installed. I plugged in the nvme and wiped it and all of its partitions using gdisk within the orangepi distro. Installed the armbian jammy image for the orangepi and it doesnt boot. So I am thinking there is a miscommunication on my sd/emmc bootloader. Going to reinstall the Orange pi boot loader on the SPI FLASH as well as the SD card. I know the boot loader between armbian and orange pi is different. But i would assume this restore it back to what it came with from the factory so hopefully will be able to boot. Is there any way to install the armbian bootloader through orange pi image or is the only way to get that is through Armbian?

Hi,

Thought I would piggiback on this thread as it might be useful for people with the same problem I'm facing.

On the process of trying to install the OS to an NVME drive, I'm afraid I have bricked the Orange Pi 5.

Doesn't boot from SD nor NVME and what's worse, I can't seem to be able to boot it and access it with the rkdeveloptool (I'm holding the maskmode button, the plugging in the AC adapter, release the button and then pluggin in the USB-C to USB cable to the computer.... but can't see the device (I've tried a number of combinations of this process with no success) nor using lsusb or rkdeveloptool ld).

I'm getting increasingly frustrated facing that I very well might have bricked a perfectly fine board (and I had plans for it).

Any recommendation, advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

@NiLace I've had the same problem. Here is what worked for me:

1. Remove all cables from the Orange PI 5 and even the SD card.
  2. Only plugin the USB-C to USB cable to the computer
  3. Hold the MASKROM button and for a little while (I think it only takes a press but who knows?)
  4. Now plugin the USB-C Power cable

`rkdeveloptool ld` should show the device now.

I was able to restore the SPI using the rk3588_spl_loader_v1.08.111.bin image (https://dl.radxa.com/rock5/sw/images/loader/rock-5b/release/).

`rkdeveloptool db rk3588_spl_loader_v1.08.111.bin`

Edited by fourcube

Hmmm, no luck so far entering Maskrom mode.

The OS I'm using is a Debian system though, I believe I might able to try from a Windows machine and hope for the better.

About UART output, I'm confused, I need to read the manual with more attention, I'm not sure how to check its output given that I can't see any way of communicating with the board.

No, no luck at all.

Have tried every possible combination (starting from the one in the manual) that I could think of both in Linux and Windows with the same result: a fixed red light and no communication whatsoever.

I'll go to the OrangePi forums, and ask there but I'm not holding my breath in bringing the board back to life (which would greatly annoy me).