Does Orange Pi 5 have PTP hardware timestamping support?

mattzbot

I'm looking for information about the Ethernet chip on the Orange Pi 5. I need an SBC that has PTP hardware timestamp support (IEEE 1588). According to OrangePi.org, the Orange Pi 5 has the Motorcomm YT8531C, but I have not been able to find documentation that provides the answer about hardware PTP support. Most likely it does not, but I'd like to confirm on an actual device before purchasing one.

If you have an Orange Pi 5, you can test this with this command:

ls /sys/class/net |xargs -n1 ethtool -T

If there is someone that is willing to run this command and post the output, I would appreciate it very much.

Note: This is a cross-post from iot.stackexchange. The only response I got there after three days was to check here on Armbian. So here goes.

Edited by mmyerz02
Add link to cross-post on iot.stackexchange

Time stamping parameters for eth0:
Capabilities:
        hardware-transmit
        software-transmit
        hardware-receive
        software-receive
        software-system-clock
        hardware-raw-clock
PTP Hardware Clock: 0
Hardware Transmit Timestamp Modes:
        off
        on
Hardware Receive Filter Modes:
        none
        all
        ptpv1-l4-event
        ptpv1-l4-sync
        ptpv1-l4-delay-req
        ptpv2-l4-event
        ptpv2-l4-sync
        ptpv2-l4-delay-req
        ptpv2-event
        ptpv2-sync
        ptpv2-delay-req

Edited by royk

Fantastic. Thanks @royk!
So it looks like the answer is, Yes, the Orange Pi 5 board does have PTP hardware timestamping support.

I can only make one post per day, so asking additional questions if you don't mind.

What OS and version are you running? I'm guessing armbian, but just want to make sure.

I am not sure if things have changed. I bought a new Orange Pi 5 plus, tried both Armbian_23.8.2_Orangepi5-plus_bookworm_legacy_5.10.160.img.xz and Armbian_23.8.2_Orangepi5-plus_jammy_legacy_5.10.160.img.xz from https://mirror-us-phx1.armbian.airframes.io/dl/orangepi5-plus/archive/ but it doesn't show hardware ptp:

Capabilities:
    software-transmit
    software-receive
    software-system-clock
PTP Hardware Clock: none
Hardware Transmit Timestamp Modes: none
Hardware Receive Filter Modes: none

I am wondering if the Realtek driver included in legacy kernel 5.10.160 has disabled hardware PTP like mentioned in this post: https://serverfault.com/questions/1078760/ptp-support-for-rtl8125b-cg-nic-in-ubuntu-20-04  @royk is this something you could try with the latest Armbian_23.8.x and legacy kernel 5.10.160? If the hardware ptp disappears, we know it is the kernel Realtek driver issue. Otherwise, it may be because Orange Pi changed the underline NIC hardware for the latest production batch.