Tanix TX3-H S905X3 blank dark screen

helios

Hi,

I am trying to install/boot latest Armbian Jammy minimal on Tanix TX3-H box without success.

Technical Details:

I created bootable both usb and sdcard but the box boots into a dark blank screen. I followed the Amlogic boxes instructions but no luck. Tried the different DTBs from the Meson SM1 series, none booted up. Any guidance on using Armbian on this box will be very helpful and appreciated 🙏

board-bottom.jpeg

board-top.jpeg

Hi @SteeMan I checked both the server and minimal versions from the latest available release:

• Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.30_minimal.img.xz
  • Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.30.img.xz

https://redirect.armbian.com/aml-s9xx-box/archive/Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.30_minimal.img.xz

I tried all the DTBs from SM1 series.

After seeing @spirake 's thread, I was wondering about the Armbian version running in my other TV Box(Beelink GT1 Ultimate - S912). Luckily I had a copy of the image and flashed it to the USB drive. The image version is Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.11  To my surprise, it worked! The box booted up and started working @SteeMan   The Wifi, BT, HDMI, and Ethernet look good. RAM, Storage sizes look good. I even installed the Armbian to EMMC successfully. I guess something is wrong with the latest image version and therefore doesn't boot.

Picture of Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.11 up and running in Tanix TX3-H

IMG_20230613_103601432.thumb.jpg.e7ca04b0731d96b95f13d8dac2d6c6fa.jpg

Edited by helios
Added more details

1 hour ago, boxonly26 said:

copy my dtb and uboot from last working img

The u-boot-s905x2-s922 file hasn't changed.  So it shouldn't be necessary to copy that.  Can you look at the file size of the two and also run diff on the two files.  Again they should be the same as that file hasn't changed.  If they are different, then something in the build process is causing a problem.

@SteeMan the latest uboot from armbian community (Ive downloaded last week armbian bookworm trunk img) have different size with my working stable bullseye armbian img downloaded few months ago from archived armbian stable (both link are from your instruction). I use sei610 dtb and s905x2 renamed to uboot.ext

Edited by boxonly26

@helios  thanks for posting that.  One thing that has changed between the two versions is the name of the kernel image.  It used to be uImage and is now Image.  Can you look at the extlinux.conf files on the two versions to make sure they are changed appropriately for the kernel name change?

For debugging, I copied over just the u-boot and dtb from another unofficial source. First, I replaced just the DTB and no change. But after replacing the u-boot, the box booted up but it was very laggy and had issues like keyboard inputs were randomly working, OS(Jammy) freezed, box was heating up etc... I have reverted back again to Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.11

Edited by helios

latest armbian community build https://github.com/armbian-alpha/os/releases/download/23.8.0-trunk.53/Armbian_23.8.0-trunk.53_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_edge_6.2.16_minimal.img.xz#aml-s9xx-box works flawless after  i've changed the uboot from facebook group / unofficial armbian u-boot. I'm using x96air dtb for my wechip v9 aml s905x3 soc, wifi and 100m ethernet works without problem, i also installed pi-apps. idk if this breaks forum rules if i place this uboot

ss.png

u-boot.ext

When I tried the latest trunk(Armbian_23.8.0-trunk.53_Aml-s9xx-box_lunar_edge_6.2.16_minimal), the box booted up but it was very buggy. There were some FS errors during storage expand on first boot and even the OS initialization failed. But the errors were gone after 3 restarts. Something broke after 23.5.1 release... 😟

I wanna switch to old armbian stable image but i couldn't download from armbian mirrors. I have a couple in my pc but my brother borrowed my ram sticks. This latest trunk build can't install some apps from pi-apps, it says error upgrading package even for minecraft bedrock 🙃

Hi @SteeMan I gave another shot of installing latest stable Armbian(Armbian_23.11.1_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.63.img.xz) on TX3. This time both of my TX3(BZ) boxes booted up and installed smoothly in 1st attempt itself without any errors. Everything is working great so far 👍 👌 

I wish the spirit of Armbian stays alive forever. It gave a second life and real purpose to these boxes 🙏   My heartfelt thanks to the entire Armbian team and unsung heroes of the Amlogic TV boxes testers 🙇