Efforts to develop firmware for H96 MAX V56 RK3566 8G/64G

Hqnicolas

[Help] I flashed my box with armbian 24.8.0-trunk.399, the RKBatch Tool showed download image is OK. However, it can't boot and after that I want to try to flash again with other firmware which i did before sometimes if can't boot to armbian. But the problem is that i can't enter the Loader/Maskrom mode even i do the same way with reset button + USB insert to PC. And therefore, i can't flash the firmware.

Please anyone can help me to solve the problem. I tried to open the box and use short circuit but don't know how and where to do.

Thank you in advance.

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Thanks for the links, but 13GB is half my monthly quota. I still have no clue how to install it to an EMMC.

🙂

There's a link to the 8Gb mini loaded binary in this post linked below, and just use the latest official image for your TV box, like this one.  Remember to uncompress the .xz image file before writing it, as I'm not sure the rk tools will do that for you.

I've not done any of this yet, and I'm in a remote place trying to source a heckin' USB A to A cable!

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 7:44 AM, xuandat09 said:

the RKBatch Tool showed download image is OK

the RKbatch is only for RK images.
where did you find a tutorial for RKbatch tool in this topic?
@xuandat09 you dont follow any instructions from this entire topic and want help?

This program you used was never mentioned: v0.7  -> v0.9 -> v1.0 -> v1.1

you will need to short CLK and GND and follow v1.1 tutorial with 24.8.0-trunk.399

IMG_20240330_150645_1.thumb.jpg.8aaeba7b868f7010bf9edcc2567f969d.jpg.a6de0a7d186d612cd1948fca684b498b.jpg

Edited by Hqnicolas

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, paradigman said:

there is problem with Mainline images above trunk 205. Those don't boot after flash mode v1.1.

https://github.com/armbian/community/releases/tag/24.8.0-trunk.495
I Will test it,
will need to remove my TTL enabled server.

@paradigman I tested it in an TTL disabled and it doesn't boot.
Tomorrow I will Migrate my TTL enabled server to test these images in a clear device.

Update:
TTL DEBUG:

U-Boot SPL board init
U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian-2017.09-S8ea7-Pe6a0-H8c72-Vb41d-Bda0a-R448a (Jul 29 2                                                                                                                     024 - 00:57:27)
unknown raw ID 0 0 0
unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 00, 00, 00
Trying to boot from MMC2
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 10
spl: mmc init failed with error: -95
Trying to boot from MMC1
No misc partition
spl: partition error
Trying fit image at 0x4000 sector
## Verified-boot: 0
## Checking atf-1 0x00040000 ... sha256(b5946ac63d...) + OK
## Checking uboot 0x00a00000 ... sha256(d5c01dc6e3...) + OK
## Checking fdt 0x00b48db0 ... sha256(6a4e326e0c...) + OK
## Checking atf-2 0xfdcc1000 ... sha256(b8dca786b4...) + OK
## Checking atf-3 0x0006b000 ... sha256(2f91089eb7...) + OK
## Checking atf-4 0xfdcce000 ... sha256(86ef885748...) + OK
## Checking atf-5 0xfdcd0000 ... sha256(0b2b146c60...) + OK
## Checking atf-6 0x00069000 ... sha256(a9a1e63bef...) + OK
Jumping to U-Boot(0x00a00000) via ARM Trusted Firmware(0x00040000)
Total: 128.822/284.278 ms

INFO:    Preloader serial: 2
NOTICE:  BL31: v2.3():v2.3-645-g8cea6ab0b:cl, fwver: v1.44
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 16:36:43, Sep 19 2023
INFO:    GICv3 without legacy support detected.
INFO:    ARM GICv3 driver initialized in EL3
INFO:    pmu v1 is valid 220114
INFO:    l3 cache partition cfg-0
INFO:    dfs DDR fsp_param[0].freq_mhz= 1560MHz
INFO:    dfs DDR fsp_param[1].freq_mhz= 324MHz
INFO:    dfs DDR fsp_param[2].freq_mhz= 528MHz
INFO:    dfs DDR fsp_param[3].freq_mhz= 780MHz
INFO:    Using opteed sec cpu_context!
INFO:    boot cpu mask: 0
INFO:    BL31: Initializing runtime services
WARNING: No OPTEE provided by BL2 boot loader, Booting device without OPTEE init                                                                                                                     ialization. SMC`s destined for OPTEE will return SMC_UNK
ERROR:   Error initializing runtime service opteed_fast
INFO:    BL31: Preparing for EL3 exit to normal world
INFO:    Entry point address = 0xa00000
INFO:    SPSR = 0x3c9

U-Boot 2017.09-armbian-2017.09-S8ea7-Pe6a0-H8c72-Vb41d-Bda0a-R448a (Jul 29 2024                                                                                                                      - 00:57:27 +0000)

Model: Rockchip RK3568 Evaluation Board
MPIDR: 0x81000000
PreSerial: 2, raw, 0xfe660000
DRAM:  4 GiB
Sysmem: init
Relocation Offset: ed216000
Relocation fdt: eb9f8a88 - eb9fecd8
CR: M/C/I
Using default environment

optee check api revision fail: -1.0
optee api revision is too low

Edited by Hqnicolas

Posted (edited)

@rpardini fix this erros Bumping u-boot

@paradigman
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/config/boards/h96-tvbox-3566.tvb
that's was fixed in last month for Station P2 
if I have time I will fix that,
also @pocosparc can do it on github
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/config/boards/station-p2.csc

build instructions

Edited by Hqnicolas

On 7/26/2024 at 7:44 AM, xuandat09 said:

[Help] I flashed my box with armbian 24.8.0-trunk.399,

@xuandat09 I think you find Armbian H96Max in a Wrong time. @paradigman found an error on github images greater than 24.8.0-trunk.205
in this case you will need to use my backup images.
If you have a backup from older images, just use it. and keep it for you.

Google Driver Alternatives 24.8.0 Trunk6
                            Armbian 24.8.0 Noble Desktop Kernel 6.6 official
                            Debian 12 Bookworm xfce Kernel 6.6 official
                            Armbian 24.8.0 Jammy Server Kernel 6.6 official
                            Armbian 24.8.0 Jammy Desktop Kernel 6.6 official

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2024 at 11:55 AM, paradigman said:

@Hqnicolas I tried flas to eMMc your POP OS images, but to the 4/32 don't able because too big the image for that eMMC

i did an 32gb image today,
taking advantage of the fact that I dismantled my 32gb TTL enabled server.

I took the opportunity to create a 32gb image.

instruction
32gb-desktop-example.img

@paradigman please give feedback if it works

Edited by Hqnicolas

On 7/30/2024 at 5:54 PM, Hqnicolas said:

you dont follow any instructions from this entire topic and want help?

I fully followed the instruction with RKDevtool not RKBatch tool. Anyway, following your instruction with short circuit, my box can boot again. Thanks for your support.

@Hqnicolas I'm very happy to have booted and now running the latest Armbian trunk on my H96 Max V56 4GB/32GB!  But I'm not having success using openvfd to get the time to display on the box's face.  I only get the blue backlight and red LED heartbeat.  I found your post here and a link to your github repo here.  I followed the instructions, referring to my current kernel 6.6.45, but the instruction I understood the least was Step 3:

3. Update dts using armbian-config

openvfd {
                compatible = "open,vfd";
                dev_name = "openvfd";
                status = "okay";
        };

I interpreted that to mean sudo armbian-config, choose System, Dtc, and find some place to paste the above, save and exit, choose y to apply the changes, which produces a long set of warning messages like the following.

/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4892.4-29: Warning (gpios_property): /gpio-keys-control/button-r1:gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4898.4-29: Warning (gpios_property): /gpio-keys-control/button-r2:gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4912.4-29: Warning (gpios_property): /gpio-keys-vol/button-vol-down:gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4918.4-29: Warning (gpios_property): /gpio-keys-vol/button-vol-up:gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4926.3-47: Warning (gpios_property): /mux-controller:mux-gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4926.3-47: Warning (gpios_property): /mux-controller:mux-gpios: cell 3 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4983.3-34: Warning (gpios_property): /sdio-pwrseq:reset-gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:4989.3-27: Warning (gpios_property): /regulator-vcc3v3-lcd0:gpio: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:5018.3-27: Warning (gpios_property): /regulator-vcc-wifi:gpio: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:5062.3-52: Warning (gpios_property): /sound:simple-audio-card,hp-det-gpio: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
/tmp/tmp.zItxtnh4vV/current.dts:5079.3-35: Warning (gpios_property): /audio-amplifier:enable-gpios: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
Do you want to replace active dtb with current modification(s)? (y/n)y

On reboot, there is no /proc/device-tree/openvfd so I assume I edited the device tree incorrectly?

Aug 12 23:20:14 h96 systemd[1]: openvfd.service - OpenVFD Service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionPathExists=/proc/device-tree/openvfd).

Any pointers on how to complete these changes so the clock appears would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

watou

Hello,

I've just discovered Armbian, an OS that I'm sure I can make good use of on my H96 Max V56 rk3566 8GB/64GB.

Thank you to all contributors for such an awesome project.

I'd like to help-out somehow, but GitHub & issues reporting is beyond my comprehension. 

Thought I'd raise a few queries here, in the hope that issue 1 might gravitate to the appropriate maintainer.

1. bootloader issue:

When built for the H96 Max V56, the resulting image will boot from an SD card okay, can be installed from the SD card, or can be installed via MASK ROM mode.

After installation on the eMMC, however, the RockChip rk3566 MASK ROM mode refuses to connect. It apparently doesn't like something in the bootloader, as when overwritten with an historical bootloader, the MASK ROM mode works fine again (but the system then won't boot).

2. backup rkdeveloptool:

Some difficulty in obtaining working backups from MASK ROM mode with this tool.

sudo ./rkdeveloptool db H96-MAX-8gb-MiniLoaderAll.bin
sudo ./rkdeveloptool rl 0 122142720 backup.img && beep
sudo ./rkdeveloptool rd

sudo ./rkdeveloptool db H96-MAX-8gb-MiniLoaderAll.bin
sudo ./rkdeveloptool wl 0 backup.img && beep
sudo ./rkdeveloptool rd

Won't boot! Can anyone familiar with this tool see my error?

3. npu.

I can't find a driver for the RockChip NPU in the kernel configuration during an Armbian build.

Could this possibly be compiled as an external module, and linked-in during boot?

Awesome effort, peeps. Thanks so much for this project, and what it has does for my little TV box.

GBEM 👽

Edited by GBEM

Where do we stand right now with the mainline kernels. What works and what doesn't? I was a bit busy lately with everything and have set aside this project. I still need to fix that openVFD driver. I the latest trunk already stable enough to reflash it to eMMC?

Edited by pocosparc

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, GBEM said:

After installation on the eMMC, however, the RockChip rk3566 MASK ROM mode refuses to connect.

1 hour ago, pocosparc said:

I the latest trunk already stable enough to reflash it to eMMC?

since mainline bootloader "6.6.45" I see this problem.
It's an problem with mainline bootloader that doesn't detect the "reset button" from back painel. "the maskroom button"
You will need to use the CLK - GND method.

@pocosparc I believe there has been a significant improvement in video processing since kernel 6.2,
but performance will be strong once we can migrate to kernel 6.10.1 from this kernel 6.6.45
@pessimism have an board with SSD reader and TTL debug that can help

Edited by Hqnicolas

2 hours ago, pocosparc said:

I the latest trunk already stable enough to reflash it to eMMC?

I was able to do exactly that with hqnicolas's 1.1 instructions and the .img he shared yesterday on Google Drive.  I then attempted the openvfd with the results above.  Thanks for any LED light you can shed....

13 hours ago, Hqnicolas said:

It's an problem with mainline bootloader that doesn't detect the "reset button" from back painel. "the maskroom button"
You will need to use the CLK - GND method.

Thanks, @Hqnicolas

Curiously, It's both the reset button method, and eMMC CLK shorting MASK ROM modes that go away. The device boots into MASK ROM mode, as opposed to a normal boot, however there's no USB device available to flash with. Trash the bootloader and you get the MASK ROM (CLK shorting) mode back.

I'm not bothered by it. It's just something to be aware of I guess. Sooner or later someone is going to say that their box is comprehensively bricked. Without an SD card socket or TTL port to upset the offending eMMC bootloader, to a certain extent that may be true.

Golly, I can't tell you all just how very pleased I am with Armbian on my H96 Max V56 TV box.  It works so remarkably well, and is a tremendous credit to all those that have diligently worked on it, and have brought it to this stage. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. Awesome!

GBEM 👽

Edited by GBEM

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, GBEM said:

Trash the bootloader and you get the MASK ROM (CLK shorting) mode back.

Nice! :beer:

22 hours ago, GBEM said:

Golly, I can't tell you all just how very pleased I am with Armbian on my H96 Max V56 TV box.  It works so remarkably well, and is a tremendous credit to all those that have diligently worked on it, and have brought it to this stage. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. Awesome!

https://pi-apps.io/

Edited by Hqnicolas

Learn how to build, flash, and initial-configure Armbian Ubuntu 24.04 for the Shenzhen Haochuangyi Technology Co., Ltd. H96 MAX V56 RK3566 8GB/64GB TV Box:

https://green.bug-eyed.monster/armbian-on-the-h96-max-v56-android-tv-box/

This was written by a complete novice, so any corrections or suggested additions would be greatly appreciated, via the page comment section.

GBEM 👽

Hi H96 community!

First of all I want thank to @Hqnicolas ( thank you for reply in Spring, unfortunately only now I'm  trying to find time to firmware my box) and other people who  have developed greatly this project for H96 box!

And secondly I've just discovered the last post with guide from @GBEM, amazing man, it's really that I wanted, manual in details, step by step, great contribution!

Appreciate it guys and hoping to be helpful to this community in my spare time!

p.s. I've made USB male to male cable from 2 cables ,I activated debug mode in Android on Tv box, but adb shell didn't see any device, other TV box too. On one USB jack  GND has contact to the metal jack itself ( I've tested by multimeter),could this cause any problems?

Edited by Armi