Screens for NanoPi Neo and Orange Pi Zero

tao

Looking for recommended LCD screens for NanoPi Neo and Orange Pi Zero.  I have some IoT ideas I want to explore. 

Does not have to be touch, and I'm pretty flexible on screen size.  Actually, would like a couple of different screen sizes but bigger than an 128x64 OLED (I have that).  Must be color. At least 320x240, preferably something 320x480. 

I just got two Orange Pi Zero systems today and want to create a couple of IoT devices along with the two NanoPi Neo systems I got recently.  Performance  does NOT have to be ideal, just reasonable (not going to game on it or watch action movies). The Zero means HDMI is not an option; given that, what interface is best - SPI?  Cost is a factor, I would like to be, shall we say, frugal?  But I don't mind paying more for the first item from amazon that I could have in hand quickly with additional orders from aliexpress (I can get a lot of development time in with one system while aliexpress puts other items in the slow delivery queue).

I'd like to use python, but could use C. I'm mainly interested in a smart approach; a path in which I can search for answers and solve problems with time and effort.  It would help if I used an established or reliable library for development.  I'll have enough problems with my own code to worry about the libraries.

So, please, tell me what has worked for you.  What have you done that you would avoid like the plague now. If it were you, what would you do?  I'd really like any suggestions or war stories. If you can be constructive, I want to hear it.

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

That's a cool project.  I didn't see reference to the screen you used.  Is it obvious and I missed it?  If so, I apologize.  If not, then what is it?

Thanks for the pointer.  My going in position is to use legacy and let the other mature a little more.  I'll be having enough problems with my code to worry about the operating system.  I'd like to jump up from legacy asap, but not prematurely. 

And if anyone has experience with specific displays, good and bad, please let me know.  I would hate buying and working on a screen that has proved to be a dead-end for someone else. Send me a private message if you don't want to post in public, but I prefer a post here so everyone can benefit from the experience.

I am using this one ... if size fits for your usage, go for it. I haven't done the touch part but it's probably doable too. Just note that the picture quality is so so. Rather go for some Oled based. This one you need to look from close proximity and strait angle ...

Yes very nice project Igor. I am using 2.8" version of same screen. Having problems getting touch to work. Screen working fine - playing movies, start X session, Etc. Just having huge issues getting ADS7846 driver to load properly - it lists up in lsmod but doesn't work. dmesg should show gpio, etc when loaded, it doesn't. Checked wiring, changed IRQ and CE to different IO ports in case it was IO port issue, still not working. This was with the ubuntu image. Now trying debian image.

On 19/11/2016 at 9:13 AM, Igor said:

Any supported I2C / SPI based display should work on Zero and NanoPi. Just double check display and wiring before getting one. Currently you better stick to legacy kernel, where there are little less supported devices.

Check my little project, done with python.

Hi and good evening.

Can I have some support about wiring? you attach to the SPI1 in the pinout?

Should i reconfigure the bin file using FEX to use the SPI1 in python?

THANK YOU

18 minutes ago, Francesco Spossati said:

Can I have some support about wiring? you attach to the SPI1 in the pinout?

Yes, check this tutorial and check your board if SPI pins are at the standard location. In most case they are.

https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#connect-your-lcd-display

19 minutes ago, Francesco Spossati said:

Should i reconfigure the bin file using FEX to use the SPI1

You need to enable it if not enabled. That's all.