[OPi One] Armbian 5.23 Jessie Server + transmission-daemon issue

grymster

Hi all.

After installation of transmission-daemon I got two issues.

First one is "UDP Failed to set receive/send buffer". I did fix it by adding next two lines to /etc/sysctl.conf

net.core.rmem_max = 16777216

net.core.wmem_max = 4194304

Second one is that RPC does not start on boot but only after manual restart of service after boot. I believe it's caused because transmission starts before network goes online. I tried to fix it by adding into /lib/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service

[unit]

Wants=network-online.target

After=network-online.target

But it does not help.

I did fix it by adding next two lines to /etc/rc.local

sleep 30

service transmission-daemon restart

But thing is that I don't like this solution.

Here is the armbianmonitor -u output.

And syslog in attachments.

Any thoughts?

syslog.txt

But thing is that I don't like this solution.

Why ?

It is a workaround and workarounds are always ugly. Anyway you will need to check and reinstall workarounds with every new release, so I generally place my workarounds entirely in rc.local and disable what doesn't work out of the box.

Thanks but I did try this one too.

No luck.

Only longer boot I got :(

That is because either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd is not used by default, so you cant' expect network-online.target to operate correctly in this environment. And I would recommend checking logs to determine why exactly Transmission fails to start correctly on boot before making assumptions and trying to fix a problem thay may not exist.

That is because either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd is not used by default, so you cant' expect network-online.target to operate correctly in this environment. And I would recommend checking logs to determine why exactly Transmission fails to start correctly on boot before making assumptions and trying to fix a problem thay may not exist.

Transmission itself starts ok.

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] Bound socket 13 to port 51413 on 0.0.0.0 (net.c:379)

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] Bound socket 14 to port 51413 on :: (net.c:379)

Problem is related to RPC Server part only:

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: *.*.*.* (rpc-server.c:824)

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:1033)

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] getaddrinfo: address family for nodename not supported (trevent.c:216)

Nov 25 14:26:40 localhost transmission-daemon[436]: [2016-11-25 14:26:40.562 MSK] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1037)

And after manual restart I got it like this:

Nov 25 14:27:27 localhost transmission-daemon[889]: [2016-11-25 14:27:27.223 MSK] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: *.*.*.* (rpc-server.c:824)

Nov 25 14:27:27 localhost transmission-daemon[889]: [2016-11-25 14:27:27.223 MSK] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:9091/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:1033)

Nov 25 14:27:27 localhost transmission-daemon[889]: [2016-11-25 14:27:27.223 MSK] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1037)

Well, I had the recollection that rpc-based protocols couldn't work without it. Nevertheless if it is not a missing lo interface configured or a missing localhost name resolution, you could have a problem with a "missing portmapper" that is a missing rpcbind process ready to register RPC services, but it is only an idea.

Well, I had the recollection that rpc-based protocols couldn't work without it. Nevertheless if it is not a missing lo interface configured or a missing localhost name resolution, you could have a problem with a "missing portmapper" that is a missing rpcbind process ready to register RPC services, but it is only an idea.

I believe you are right. I thought something like this too.

I tried use "After=rpcbind.target" but it did not work too.

Main questions:

Why?

And how to fix it?

I believe you are right. I thought something like this too.

I tried use "After=rpcbind.target" but it did not work too.

Main questions:

Why?

And how to fix it?

Well, you can either do reverse engineering on systemd, disable all unneeded crap and start it in /etc/rc.local, or try to guess what is wrong.

As an example, I found out that my nfs mounting worked in an erratic way because I had not defined the server in /etc/hosts. So sometimes mounting worked (because in is defined in my DNS server), sometimes it worked if I forced the mount in /etc/rc.local, and sometimes in didn't work at all during boot ...

A boot script to do the same thing as systemd should have about 20 lines and be easily manageable. With parallelism, you can never be sure of the order in which the things are done, and with dependencies to remote services, you aren't even sure it will boot. Every time I change a line, reboot fail but second reboot work ?!?

Check you don't need external host name resolution with transmission at startup, try to force "service rpcbind start" in rc.local.

Check you don't need external host name resolution with transmission at startup, try to force "service rpcbind start" in rc.local.

I gave up already.

I disabled transmission in systemd and added delayed start of it in rc.local.

Period.