Need SPIDEV (/dev/spi*) enables on Renegade 4GB / Jammy

Patrick Pesch

Looking for information on enabling 4 wire SPI on the Libre Renegade.

I think have it enabled (spi-spidev) in armbian-config and I think configured correctly in /boot/armbianEnv.txt:

param_spidev_spi_bus=0
param_spidev_spi_cs=0
param_spidev_max_freq=1000000

Connecting to pins GPIO pin# 19/21/23/24

I still do not see ANY devices matching /dev/spi* - An guidance as to WHY? I have the build framework, but am new to building armbian kernels but could navigate it with some direction.  TIA folks!

[Trying to connect a 240x320 LCD display  using the ST7789-VW controller, not using Arduino IDE]

Welcome to Armbian community support forums!

3 hours ago, Patrick Pesch said:

I expected this to be relatively straight forward. 

Adjust expectations ? We also need to. Even small group of contributors are throwing thousands of our hours into supporting you, this is not on the plug and play Raspberry Pi level. Developers base here is smaller facing much bigger hardware diversity.

3 hours ago, Patrick Pesch said:

I guess Armbian is the wrong OS

You don't have many options. Stock, Armbian or Armbian based OS (with the same problems). I believe stock is best at such things, but also on Armbian this should work ... just analysing and fixing is perhaps not on the consumer grade time frame. Support, where 99% contribute with demand and questions, can only be best effort.

Next time, when you will run into problems, provide logs, try to help someone in between, make friends. This helps you most when you are in trouble.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:47 PM, Patrick Pesch said:

param_spidev_spi_bus=0
param_spidev_spi_cs=0
param_spidev_max_freq=1000000

is entirely dependant on the device tree overlays handling fixups, or is that RPi style syntax? 

In any case I already found an issue with the overlays for this family (spi-spidev overlay as written is in fact only applicable to rk3399 https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/5778) , I'll add one for rk3328 spidev, it will not work the way you have above though since fixups are super hacky.