[Clearfog Pro] Need some help with 3G Modem HL8548 Sierra Wireless on Kernel 5.25

Valk

Having trouble getting the modem to show up in the /dev/ folder.

I have a HL8548 Sierra Wireless mini pci-e connected to my Clearfog-Pro. Currently using Armbian 3.10.104 "jessie".

I've tried using a stock image, going through the kernel config menu to turn on PPP and looking for any settings related which I can turn on (Can't seem to find anything device driver related).

My understanding is it's part of the stock Kernel and should show up as a USB device (gone back to the supplier to check the AT command was sent to have the modem in the right mode).

If anyone has experience getting a mini pci-e cellular modem going in Armbian I'd appreciate any advice.

Also tried using the dev and next branches but couldn't get them to install on my clearfog (freezes during boot at the decompressing part, not sure why).

Yes the device is listed in lsusb.

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0781:5576 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Facet
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1519:0020 Comneon HSIC Device
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

​​The second last item "Comneon HSIC Device" is it.

The pci-e slot makes no difference.

I just built it against the next branch using 16.04 and turned that setting on along with the sierra wireless drivers (went through looking for anything to do with CDC and CDC AMA).

Since I just finished copying the image to my USB drive I'll give it a shot then change to the default branch and try again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well using the default branch I see ttyACM0 - 6 which means it should be fine now. Unfortunately when I looked for the emmc device it doesn't show up.

Going through the config now, hopefully it's just a missing option

I modified my usb device to set that flag on and rebooted. Unfortunately I see don't see the devices.

In dmesg I get:

[    2.244528] mmc0: SDHCI controller on f10d8000.sdhci [f10d8000.sdhci] using ADMA

Sorry to be needing so much help.

Yeah at the start I did as you said and modified armbianEnv.txt with no success. After I went to the extremes trying to find any solution that would work. Even so far as to try and revert git changes.

Previously it worked fine without an SD card in the slot, I'll give it a try tomorrow but hopefully can figure out what has caused the change.

Even if it needs an SD card for now I just need to get this last piece of the puzzle going tomorrow.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Ok well SD card detection was my problem.

Thanks, I forgot about that issue.

Now I just need to find a way to reconfigure the armbianEnv.txt when I compile and find a way to patch the SD card issue again.

Anyway thanks again for all your help. Gets me out of trouble for now.

I implemented eMMC fix according to Solid-Run wiki: http://wiki.solid-run.com/doku.php?id=products:a38x:software:development:u-boot

But somewhere on forums I saw a different solution - replacing GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW with GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH without removing/commenting out cd-gpios property.

Since I have the board without eMMC I can't test what works and what doesn't.

Regarding patching armbianEnv.txt - you should be able to modify it from userpatches/customize-image.sh script.

I have a heep of emmc boards so happy to do any tested which is needed (right now it's not working with the build I did 12 hours ago).

I'll use that script to update the file. Thanks for the hint.

I was just looking at doing the patches on the wiki... I might go search for another solution if that's already implemented.

Ok well need to figure out the emmc issues. Seems with the SD card attached I get data corruption (tried a brand new board also).

Since it isn't related to the modem anymore I'm going to start a new thread.