Video playback broken with Jammy 23.8 + panfork?

OttawaHacker

Since I re-installed 23.8 Jammy with the extra ppa:liujianfeng1994 repo - I haven't been able to play any videos on my OPI5. All players I tried seem to have kernel issues decoding any h264. I've narrowed down the error message to a 4Gb memory limit with the selected version of the drivers but I was wondering if anyone had luck with playback. 

I had better luck with Jammy 23.4 and I regret upgrading.

What is the recommendation? Should I try nightly with 6.6.0-rc1 kernel? I assume this one doesn't need panfork drivers anymore or are there other recommendations for h264 playback?

I figured out a workaround if anyone else if having this issue. I added the following option in armbianEnv.txt - it will limit your memory to 4gb but fixes video decoding.

I believe a real fix for the current 5.10.160 kernel would be an updated version of the panfrost drivers. @amazingfate - any chances you could look into a new build?

extraargs="mem=4G"

5 hours ago, amazingfate said:

What video, what player? Any logs?

All videos, all players - tried both vlc and mpv and tons of videos. Without the 4G limitation the playback is choppy (one frame every minute + tons of frames skipped) and they end up with all kinds of weird error messages. mpv shows this one

[h264_rkmpp @ 0xffff833fb620] Doing slow software conversion

The kernel ends up full of these messages

Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: RGA_MMU unsupported memory larger than 4G!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: scheduler core[4] unsupported mm_flag[0x0]!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: rga_mm_map_buffer map dma_buf error!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: job buffer map failed!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: src channel map job buffer failed!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_mm: failed to map buffer
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_job: rga_job_commit: failed to map job info
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_job: request[240757] task[0] job_commit failed.
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga_job: rga request[240757] commit failed!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: rga: request[240757] submit failed!
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: [drm:rockchip_vop2_mod_supported] *ERROR* Unsupported format modifier 0x800000100000351
Oct 04 01:51:28 kitchen-opi kernel: [drm:rockchip_vop2_mod_supported] *ERROR* Unsupported format modifier 0x800000100000351

According to this RK3588S Mali-G610 GPU (Orange Pi 5) video playback segfault · Issue #356 · rockchip-linux/mpp (github.com)

there are some patches already in the mpp stack to fix that but limiting the memory to 4Gb does work with the current stack as well.

2 hours ago, amazingfate said:

ffplay test.mp4

Wow yes I can confirm that one works even without the memory limitation. Is there any way to get vlc to use ffmpeg 6? I assume they are linked to avcodec58 instead of avcodec60?

I had the video playback working correctly in a previous Jammy version with your previous package. Is the 4Gb memory limit the best solution today? What do you recommend?

On 10/5/2023 at 11:12 AM, amazingfate said:

A rebuild of vlc or mpv can use the new libavcodec60 package in ppa. I'm going to upload new packages to trigger rebuild.

Million thanks sir! You saved the whole armbian for OPI5, your latest packages work like a charm with VLC - and that is a clean fix. My video playback is perfect again, if not better.

Edited by OttawaHacker