Unable to bring up/manage any network interface on RK322x

Arxx

I've installed Armbian legacy kernel 4.4.194-rk322x on a Rockchip box (RK3229, SSV6051 wireless chip). Most things have worked thus far but I've hit a major roadblock with the network interfaces. Output of nmcli shows that all devices are unmanaged (this includes ethernet). I've tried several remedies:

- explicitly setting a managed connection (nmcli device set wlan0 managed yes) has no effect: the device remains unmanaged 

- in the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf the option of setting devices to be managed by NM was already set to true (managed=true). I have changed this to false and back with no change in either scenario

- adding a blank '10-globally-managed-devices.conf' in either /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d or /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d is suggested by many, but will crash the service. Even editing these files to explicitly manage all devices (unmanaged-devices=none) to allow the service to start has no impact.

- attempting to activate connections via nmtui fails: 'Connection 'Ifupdown (eth0)' is not available on device eth0 because device is strictly unmanaged'. This is not a surprise but I thought I'd include it for completeness.

There has been no point throughout the installation in which any network adapter has worked. I have changed wireless drivers and verified that ssv6051 is correct. Any help would be much appreciated!