Orange Pi 3B graphic acceleration driver

thanh_tan

graphic acceleration is too general term. rk3566 has GPU (it is about 3D), which is working, and VPU (this is hw video en/de-coding acceleration)

The overview of the general situation with hw accelerated video decoding by several rk chips in mainline linux is given here:

https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Mainline_Hardware_Decoding

To be able to play something in your browser it is needed kernel support (which is partly present) and the effort from browser developers to implement such feature (this part is missing). So, forget about that until it will be implemented.

However, in resent topic:

there was offered a way to play hw accelerated videos using mpv player. This works at least for H264 encoded ones.

BTW, mpv can play youtube streams. Google search gives a lot of advises how this can be done.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:20 PM, Alexander Buzin said:

To be able to play something in your browser it is needed kernel support (which is partly present) and the effort from browser developers to implement such feature (this part is missing).

The output of Code "MOZ_GFX_DEBUG=1 MOZ_LOG="PlatformDecoderModule:5" firefox" tells me a different story, see firefox-nanopc-t4.txt for reference.
If you don't perform any actions with the graphical UI, nvtop confirms very nicely how the GPU and CPU are idle while Firefox plays a video using the VPU:

Spoiler

nvtop-NanoPC-T4-firefox.png.8134f7d9bae517c8ace309a37e6fbd7e.png

And this is also nice to have:

Spoiler

Firefox-plugins.png.ab08f6da2ae411eacb194c8519b20772.png

The VPU support of rk356x still lacks rkvdec2 support, but the Hantro decoder is already quite compliant, while the support of gstreamer and FFmpeg decoders is on pair. See fluster-run-odroid-m1-summary.txt for reference. So a lot is already happening.

And all this despite the fact that the distribution of my choice doesn't support any of my devices (not even unofficially). It's all pure mainline, with the exception of the FFmpeg package, which I had to rebuild because the request API support isn't available out-of-the-box there yet.

firefox-nanopc-t4.txt fluster-run-odroid-m1-summary.txt