Orange Pi Plus + Armbian = how to watch Youtube videos ? (very slow)

apristen

Hi.

First, thanks for Armbian!

I compiled it from sources and all works fine on my Orange Pi Plus :)

When I try Armbian with LCD monitor (HDMI) - it works well, but Youtube video playback (even 480p) very-very slow :(

Is there any way to activate/install/etc. HW video acceleration on Armbian on Orange Pi Plus (Allwinner H3) for watch Youtube videos on LCD monitor ?

You could try out smtube:

apt-get install smtube

Linux on ARM suffers from every hardware vendor using an own and incompatible video decoding engine in their SoCs so it's no wonder that browsers like eg. Chrome or Chromium don't support what's usual on x86: VA-API/VDPAU support to make use of the specific HW video decoding engine. That's why these browsers always do a fallback to software rendering on the CPU cores which is simply not that great with slow CPU cores like on all cheap SBC around.

Edit: Of course workarounds like this one here for Raspberries could be adopted (but this has to be submitted by users). The trick is to download the youtube video locally and then use mpv instead of omxplayer (the latter using RPi's VideoCore VPU to do the video decoding, in Armbian with Allwinner legacy desktop images you would need to call mpv instead to get HW accelerated video decoding since Raspi and Allwinner video engines are 100% incompatible)