Unable to install docker on armbian Orange Pi Zero 3

svarog

Hi, I am new here so please apologize if I am asking already asked question, but I couldn't find the solution.

I am trying to install docker on my orange pi zero 3 which is running Armbian (24.2.0-trunk.519) aarch64, kernel version 6.6.15-current-sunxi64.

I have found this post, but I was not able to install docker because I found 2 problem that I don't know how to solve.

1. Installing docker using armbian-config does not work.

I install armbian-config, run it as su/sudo, choose docker and install. The installer does something and after it's done it returns me to the same screen where I have chosen docker to be installed. So, no confirmation that I have installed the software, even star is omitted near docker(if you know what I mean).

2. Following the instructions from docker page, I follow every single step, but when it comes to the command

svarog@orangepizero3:~$ sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io docker-buildx-plugin docker-compose-plugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package docker-ce is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package docker-ce-cli is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'docker-ce' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'docker-ce-cli' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package containerd.io
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'containerd.io'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'containerd.io'
E: Unable to locate package docker-buildx-plugin
E: Unable to locate package docker-compose-plugin

this is the response that I get.

Maybe I am missing something or I am total noob, but I am pretty sure that the installer is done correctly(I mean the documentation) and the only thing that could be wrong is me...

Can you please help me to figure out why I cannot install docker and what am I doing wrong in the process?

thanks

I would suggest you read some of the other threads on the orange pi zero 3 in this forum.  This board is very new and under active work.  But don't expect everything to work yet.

• SteeMan changed the title to Unable to install docker on armbian Orange Pi Zero 3

Ah..I see whats going on here. The nightly images uses unreleased OS versions. Debian trixie is to be released next year, and Ubunu Noble will not be released for another 2 months. Hence docker doesn't have a repository for them yet as can be seen by going to - https://download.docker.com/linux/debian/dists/

Install docker.io package using apt instead of following the docker installation guide.