USB-C DP alt mode not working with mainline kernel

Posted (edited)

@SteeMan I understand but I wanted to install the package `media-buster-legacy-rk3399` which was only available on that repo 😕

Update: I only need the `media-buster-legacy-rk3399_20.11.7_arm64.deb` file (which was available at https://armbian.hosthatch.com/apt/pool/buster-desktop/m/media-buster-legacy-rk3399/media-buster-legacy-rk3399_20.11.7_arm64.deb), but that file seems just gone from the internet, and there are no other alternatives. There should at least be an archive of the apt repo so we can set it up ourselves for this kind of project because now I only want to throw away Armbian and my RockPro64 and buy something else like a LattePanda which at least will always have drivers available and not deleted from everywhere after a few years... Even the source to build that package seems to be gone, even though the link to set up the 3D accelerated drivers on kernel 4.4 is linked from the official documentation at https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Rockchip/ and https://www.armbian.com/rockpro64/

Update2: what is the point of the archive server if it doesn't serve apt repos for old distributions? The main Debian project still serves archives of apt repos for distributions going back to the very first version of Debian https://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/ can't armbian do the same?

Thank you

Edited by lululombard

Armbian is very limited in both human and financial resources. We cannot afford either supporting software that is EOL upstream for one and a half years now or storing hundreds of thousands of old packages.

Don't get me wrong. It would be nice to have stuff kept around and supported way longer. But who should take care and pay for it? :(

33 minutes ago, lululombard said:

linked from the official documentation

docs are unfortunately often outdated, last but not least because of the reasons mentioned above. It is already difficult to keep up with ongoing development and changes and documentation takes time as well. Feel free to help improving the situation and get involved.

@Werner thank you very much for your reply, I understand it's hard to manage such a project, I wish I could help but I don't have the time 😕 

I guess I'm SOL for my project using the RockPro64, I'll donate to help you anyway and wish you good luck!

@lululombard  So the historic images for the RockPro64 still exist in the archives.  So I was going to suggest that you could extract the kernel from the images and manually apply the kernel.  But in looking at the images, and your request above, it looks like the images contain the rockchip64 kernel and you are wanting to use the media kernel.  I'm not sure why that is, as I'm not aware of the media kernel every being supported for this board. But you could take that strategy of finding an historic image for a board that supported the media kernel, and copy over the relevant files (/boot/dtb, /boot/Image, /boot/uinitrd and /lib/modules/<kernel>)

@lululombard I think this whole discussion needs to be moved to a new thread as this thread is about the Banana PI.  Can you state what you are trying to accomplish?  I can then move these posts to a new thread named according to what you are trying to do.  It seems as if you are just trying to use 3d accelleration (which should be present for rk3399 out of the box on recent kernels).  I think you may be following very old instructions that are no longer relevant.  So again state what you are trying to accomplish with your RockPro64.

@SteeMan indeed this needs to be split in its own thread, but to sum up, I'd like to either have USB-C DP alt mode working on a current Armbian build (I tried and it does not seem to work but that would be the best outcome if it can work), or have 3D acceleration/video decoding acceleration on the 4.4 kernel as DP alt mode works on it. Thanks for the help to get the media kernel working, I'll try that when I have some time, thanks!