Kali Linux as supported distro

Go to solution Solved by c0rnelius,

Dear All,

I found armbian by chance and it's the best supporting linux solution for my orangepizero3 - will later start tinkering with orangepizero2w and orangepi5plus

I'd love, along with Debian and Ubuntu, to have Kali selectable as distribution option - linux kernel, dtb, headers, u-boot, overlays and armbian-config would be the perfect base for it (and every other distribution imho)

Being inspired by GoVanguard/karmbian, which is based on armbian's previous framework, I tried grossly "injecting" kali support into armbian branch v24.02 - but I'm lost; definitely no developer, just playing around

specifically I'm stuck with "lib/functions/general/apt-utils.sh" function "apt_find_upstream_package_version_and_download_url()" - I don't know how to get kali deb packages url - kali tracker doesn't behave like Debian/Ubuntu - my clumsy approach is available at https://github.com/alexl83/build.git branch v24.02

I think orange pi boards are nice and hold potential, but manufacturer is stuck at an old forked armbian framework, old kernel and hacky dtbs - Armbian is great and I hope to get kali tools on it without "Frankensteining" Debian with overlapping repos, conflicts and pinnings

Would love to get some proper support - sunxi64-current (6.6) works a charm, injection patches are ok, but even when deployed on trixie and using a kali extension script, the are overlapping packages - It would be great to have Kali distro just integrated in this framework

Thanks for those who read all this

Fingers crossed

Alex

Edited by Alessandro Lannocca
typo

Posted (edited)

Hi @going, thanks for following up!
Kali is the de-facto (in my opinion) penetration-testing and learning platform (I'm passionate about wireless) - orangepi boards are very decent hardware-wise but software support is lacking
I enjoyed learning and playing around with armbian for the past 3 days, and I think it's the best framework for building self-contained small distros

I'm looking towards a clean, lean, cli distro for my SBCs, kali is a great platform and Armbian with its framework works better than the patched-up google-drive solutions from vendor (kernel 6.1 vs kernel 6.6)

Being a debian derivative (kali), I see the potential of converging armbian cleanliness with kali - especially since with older framework GoVanguard did it for some boards, and orangepi itself is based on a previous generation of armbian

As of now, for running kali, I'm bound to RaspberryPI boards, as are the only ones with broad "mainline" kali coverage - in full honesty though I think armbian is a much superior framework than kali-arm for building

I like a lot mainline support and armbian brought mainline support for both u-boot and kernel on orangepizero3 - I want to try and come up with a board config for orangepizero2w on armbian as soon as I find a kali solution!

And my orangepi5plus is on its way, I want to play with it too!

These topics bring out my beloved nerdiness :)

Edited by Alessandro Lannocca
typo

If you know the Kali Linux distribution well, then you can try installing Armbian and then change the sources in the /etc/apt/source.list file.

Then just update the sources. Or do you need some special changes in the kernel?
I am not familiar with this distribution. My questions may look strange.

Not strange at all, and by the way, thanks for your interest/support!

I need special changes in the kernel, but I managed to get them built via armbian using userpatches

I would prefer to keep armbian kernel + headers + firmware + dtb + uboot as they work perfectly

I'd find the best solution to have armbian-config manage system configuration (on kali there's kalipi-config but it's raspberrypi oriented)

For everything else, I'd prefer a clean rootfs, with kali repositories packages, installed directly at build time via chroot in armbian build framework

If I change sources.list afterwards, I get some armbian packages mixed with kali's and vice-versa

So ideally, I'd just select "Kali" instead of "trixie" or "bookworm" as distribution, while keeping the final rootfs structure armbian-pristine

It isn't any different than enjoying armbian with ubuntu jammy instead of debian bookwork; do I give the idea?

Specifically Kali has a lot of metapackages provididing wireless tools, metasploit and windows powershell toolkits and so on; it's specialized in offensive/defensive security; an assortment difficult to find elsewhere without major efforts

• Solution

Kali is in a lot of ways a polished SID with all of their own custom bits added. It can be debootstrap'd just like Debian, Devuan and Ubuntu. I did find some services didn't work on boot; 'ssh avahi bluetooth ntp'. But there could be some option they have I'm not aware of to allow those services to start out of the box. Creating a custom service to start those does the trick though.

I would think adding this as an option could be doable, but the question then becomes who wants to handle the support required to maintain it?

(Maintained as) Armbian with Kali applications already exists as an extension. Copy https://github.com/armbian/os/blob/main/userpatches/extensions/kali.sh to extensions of your userspatches/extensions/ and try with:

./compile.sh ENABLE_EXTENSIONS="kali"

Not sure if something is missing, but its pretty easy to add. Going this path saves you a lot of time.

As far as patched for hacking wireless drivers or/and kernel tweaks, we should have most of them, probably more then Kali Linux. In technical sense there are just userspace applications, which are IMO included into that extension. The rest, majority, about Kali is myth, produced by Hollywood and community.

On some download pages, you can already find ready to run images, X86 arch for example:

image.png

You can try that image on your PC, fine tune, then just build for whatever you want.

11 часов назад, Alessandro Lannocca сказал:

For everything else, I'd prefer a clean rootfs, with kali repositories packages, installed directly at build time via chroot in armbian build framework

If I change sources.list afterwards, I get some armbian packages mixed with kali's and vice-versa

So ideally, I'd just select "Kali" instead of "trixie" or "bookworm" as distribution, while keeping the final rootfs structure armbian-pristine

It isn't any different than enjoying armbian with ubuntu jammy instead of debian bookwork; do I give the idea?

thanks. I understand your point of view.

For a clean system, you may need this key:  KEEP_ORIGINAL_OS_RELEASE=yes

The script that @Igor advises will add the Kali repository to the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kali.list file.

But one inaccuracy remains.

You'll probably want to change that: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/27a07d918e3e010f74dc24fcc17f510a8eb35252/lib/functions/rootfs/distro-specific.sh#L150

@Igor sid and unstable are synonyms of the same repositorysid and ustable.

sid|unstable)
		cat <<- EOF > "${basedir}"/etc/apt/sources.list
			deb ${DEBIAN_MIRROR} $release main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
			#deb-src ${DEBIAN_MIRROR} $release main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
		EOF

Otherwise, apt will read the same thing twice.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate getting feedback from so many experts!

Let me answer by point, hopefully some of my experience might be useful

@Igor I get your point, Kali is mostly userspace and the convenience to have everything packaged (and rolling) in the same place - the only thing Armbian lacked was wifi injection capabilities which I solved by placing kali kernel patches in

userpatches/kernel/archive/sunxi64-6.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex alex  17K apr 13 19:55 dwav-usb-mt-driver.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex alex 4,8K apr 13 19:55 kali-wifi-injection.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex alex 2,3K apr 13 19:55 wireless-carl9170-Enable-sniffer-mode-promisc-flag-t.patch

Got them fresh from Kali's GitLab repo (an they're compatible up to kernel 6.6)

Now, here's my build config file:

userpatches/config-opi03.conf
BOARD=orangepizero3
BRANCH=current
RELEASE=trixie
DEST_LANG="it_IT.UTF-8"
COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,xz
KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no
BSPFREEZE=yes
CLEAN_LEVEL=debs,images,cache
BUILD_DESKTOP=no
BUILD_MINIMAL=yes
BUILD_EXTERNAL=yes
EXTERNAL_NEW=compile
INSTALL_HEADERS=yes
NO_APT_CACHER=yes
ARTIFACT_IGNORE_CACHE=yes
#KERNEL_GIT=shallow
ENABLE_EXTENSIONS=kali
HOST=opi03
#LOCALVERSION=-kali

and here's my output from

sudo apt update && sudo apt list --updateable
pt-utils/kali-rolling 2.7.12+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 2.7.12]
apt/kali-rolling 2.7.12+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 2.7.12]
base-files/kali-rolling 1:2024.1.0 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 24.2.1-13-trixie]
bluetooth/kali-rolling 5.71-1+kali1 all [aggiornabile da: 5.71-1]
bluez/kali-rolling 5.71-1+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 5.71-1]
command-not-found/kali-rolling 23.04.0-1+kali3 all [aggiornabile da: 23.04.0-1]
dpkg/kali-rolling 1.22.4+kali2 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 1.22.4]
init-system-helpers/kali-rolling 1.66+kali1 all [aggiornabile da: 1.66]
init/kali-rolling 1.66+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 1.66]
libapt-pkg6.0/kali-rolling 2.7.12+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 2.7.12]
libbluetooth3/kali-rolling 5.71-1+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 5.71-1]
libdpkg-perl/kali-rolling 1.22.4+kali2 all [aggiornabile da: 1.22.4]
libpolkit-agent-1-0/kali-rolling 124-1+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 124-1]
libpolkit-gobject-1-0/kali-rolling 124-1+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 124-1]
linux-headers-current-sunxi64/trixie 24.2.1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 24.2.1]
linux-image-current-sunxi64/trixie 24.2.1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 24.2.1]
polkitd/kali-rolling 124-1+kali1 arm64 [aggiornabile da: 124-1]

As you can see there are Armbian packages being overriden by Kali's counterpart: how may I know there's no "Frankestein" effect under the hood? I'd feel much safer knowing that Kali packages have been bootstrapped during image build itself - If I select "Bookworm" with "kali-extension.sh", the list gets much longer

So I tried:

Bootstrapping a kali snapshot rootfs (no kernel, no headers, no firmware, no u-boot, no dtbs, and no u-boot-menu, then proceeded installing:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex  21K apr 14 11:55 armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero3_24.2.1_arm64__1-PC13d1-Ve726-He72f-Ba537-R6632.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 1,7M apr 14 11:55 armbian-bsp-cli-orangepizero3-current_24.2.1_arm64__1-PC13d1-Ve726-He72f-Ba537-R6632.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 133K apr 14 11:53 armbian-config_24.2.1_all__1-SAfb17-B0293-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 225M apr 14 11:55 armbian-firmware_24.2.1_all__1-SA6b6f-B90f5-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 414M apr 14 11:54 armbian-firmware-full_24.2.1_all__1-SA6b6f-SMfbef-B90f5-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 2,4M apr 14 11:52 linux-dtb-current-sunxi64_24.2.1_arm64__6.6.16-Seb3e-D6b4a-P5d69-Cc165Hfe66-HK01ba-Vc222-B067e-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex  94M apr 14 11:52 linux-headers-current-sunxi64_24.2.1_arm64__6.6.16-Seb3e-D6b4a-P5d69-Cc165Hfe66-HK01ba-Vc222-B067e-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 149M apr 14 11:52 linux-image-current-sunxi64_24.2.1_arm64__6.6.16-Seb3e-D6b4a-P5d69-Cc165Hfe66-HK01ba-Vc222-B067e-R448a.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alex alex 911K apr 14 11:52 linux-u-boot-orangepizero3-current_24.2.1_arm64__2024.01-S866c-P6305-H7b37-Vb97c-B11a8-R448a.deb

It works a charm and no potential messing between package repos/distributions are present (hopefully), as the above packages are in a locally hosted repo which I manually added to Kali rootfs

But this is a tedious work, manual and I can't say if it's good or not, to be honest it works great

I'd feel it would be done the "right" way by integrating kali distrib into build scripts

@going I'll definitely test

KEEP_ORIGINAL_OS_RELEASE=yes

and report back

@c0rnelius Kali network services, especially avahi being able to broadcast services, thus giving away a penetration tester "presence", are disabled by default - in the past HCIUART was disabled by default too due to some reason I can't remember; nevertheless everything can be (re-)enabled, unmasked, etc by standard means - Kali does even include some fancy cryptroot-luks kernel patches that automatically "destroy" data on boot when full-disk-encryption is active in case of specific passwords being passed (like a dead man's switch I suppose)

Thank you for your support guys!

20 минут назад, Alessandro Lannocca сказал:

Bootstrapping a kali snapshot rootfs (no kernel, no headers, no firmware, no u-boot, no dtbs, and no u-boot-menu, then proceeded installing:

😄👍

Dear All,

in order to learn about Armbian and experiment a little, I came up with some really basic config files / scripts / patches to adapt my SBC experience to my kali needs (wants)

Please bear with me for my lame practices and "coding" style - here's my repo, should it be helpful to anyone Kali Customizing & Co

I just own an orangepizero3 and orangepizero2w, with a 5plus in them mail, so conent in my repo will likely cover just those

Thank you for managing this project and for supporting us users :)

Grazie 🙏🏻

Ale