Is it possible to run Armbian in a box with Android TV? (not Android)

Sig

Hi Guys,

I was trying to install Armbian in a couple of boxes buit I had no luck.
One is a SEI500W from SEI Robotics with AML 905X2 and the other is a
Sagecom DIW 585 with AML 905X
I followed the process and after trying to boot to recovery they start Andoid tv as normal (just takes more time).
In the other hand I was able to run EMUELEC (Gaming emulator) on both devices with an image on SD so I'm assuming the problem is not a block.

What do you think?
Is there any ideas to try?

Thank you in advance!

What build and instructions are you using?

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/33676-installation-instructions-for-tv-boxes-with-amlogic-cpus

If you are using the above instructions, note the first sentence about having ever run another distro on the box.  If so a reinstall of the original android firmware is required to reset the box to a unmodified state (I point this out as you say you have run emuelec on the box - and yes running from sd card counts as running on the box).

@SteeMan Thank you for your quick answer!

I missed that line I'm sorry.
I assume Corelec and Emuelec will cause same problem with boot.
Not sure how to reinstall firmware , I've only run automatic updates.

Any advise to get and install original firmware?

@cuker thank you for the tip.

I've just tried, but after installing the aml_autoscript suggested on that link the box with Armbian on Sd inserted starts a boot loop.
It boot normally to Android TV with no SD card inserted.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

@Sig  That procedure is a one time this thing.  If you pressed the reset button correctly it will have reset the boot loader environment.  So remove the SD card and try booting without and SD card (that should be android as normal), then try the Armbian.  If it doesn't work, try the reset process again (there is no good way to know if you timed the pressing and holding of the reset button correctly, except through trial and error).  ( I generally find holding the reset for about 5 seconds while power is applied is about right, but too long or too short and it won't work as intended)

@SteeMan Yes i did it that way.
Inserted the SD with the fix for boot. It booted, then I powered of and removed SD.
After that I Inserted the Armbian SD card but then is when the boot loop appears. So there was no way to boot form any SD card anymore.

But still works on Android TV when no SD card is present.
Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.
Thank you.