BPi M2+ (Armbian 5.25) = "No ethernet" message and stopped with "=>" prompt

miguipda

Hi,

since many month I did not used my BPi M2+ that previously worked with the 5.14 image since not working with the new one 5.25 (sha signature checked = good server image of Debian Jessie downloaded with identical signature).

I prepared my SD with the 5.25 armbian image (on the previous 5.14 SD, bad idea) and boot it (with USB/TTL cable and saw in Putty) but it display a message telling me that it does not find ethernet (and even if I insert a RJ45 connected to my router and reboot it this give me the same message).

After what it display trying to use pxe (many lines tried some solutions) and finally stop with a prompt "=>".

How can I boot completely this armbian 5.25 image on my BPi M2+ without it stop during boot process ?

Sincerely thanks.

Miguipda ;-)

I own a BPM M2+ (bad pick). The major problem of my board was always powering it !

Before thinking of bad software or bad/corrupted SD card, always try with another PSU (If you use micro-usb, use a PSU without USB-A connector  - which is even worse than micro-usb because never designed for that use).

And when the boot fail, unplug everything (in particular UART cable and ethernet cable) and be sure the card has time to cool down before trying again. Otherwise, mine don't do a full reset !

Hi,

1) I power it with the power supply jack and not with USB

2) except I can not copy Putty console content. An idea to catch this content and give you this requested feedback ?

Sincerely thanks

9 minutes ago, miguipda said:

2) except I can not copy Putty console content. An idea to catch this content and give you this requested feedback ?

In PuTTY text is copied to the clipboard automatically when you select it.

Alternatively you can set logging to file in session settings (before you open the session)

Alternatively you can select "Copy all to clipboard" in the right click menu on the window title.

To all of those three proposals I have to answer that no one are existing on my Putty (running on my  Debian laptop).

Not automatially copied to clipboard,

The created log session file just contents : "=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2017.03.25 19:23:30 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~="

No right click menu on the putty title allow something like explained

21 minutes ago, miguipda said:

To all of those three proposals I have to answer that no one are existing on my Putty (running on my  Debian laptop).

When I see "PuTTY" I'm assuming PuTTY on Windows. For the Linux you should be able to use "screen" to access your serial port from any other terminal (xterm, Terminator, etc.) and use the terminal copy-paste functions.

I sincerely tried to copy it since my first pot but did work (Ctrl+C followed by a Ctrl+V = did not copy it to clipboard and paste gave a previous copy/paste).

This is why I asked an eventual solution.

Tomorrow I will use a print screen to show you the problem because I have to go now.

Hi,

following your consideration I reinstalled the image after having removed the partition on the SD card.

Then it worked perfectly ;-)

This thread could then be removed from the forum.

Sincerely thanks for your help ;-)

1 hour ago, miguipda said:

This thread could then be removed from the forum.

Then we could remove half of the threads here :)

There exists an 'Armbian getting started' guide and while it seems that this might be a waste of time at a first look it's strongly recommended to follow each single step outlined there (since it will save you huge amounts of time if you run in one of the two issues most users run into sooner or later: broken (OS image on) SD card or powering issues: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/