Bigtreetech CB2 and Pi 2 support

Bigtreetech CB2 and Pi 2 released somewhat recently (April 20th). They use RK3566 and have a lot of nice features. The board and module are intended for 3d printer use but can be used just like any other pi. There is an official linux image on bigtreetech github, and it seems it's a slightly customized armbian. I propose copying that configuration and adding it as a supported board.

This is a bit of a personal tangent, but I was also thinking of how I can submit the device tree files to the mainline linux kernel, would that be a good idea? I'm planning to use or at least try Alpine on the board and it would be nice to have the needed files in the linux package already.

1 hour ago, JohnTheCoolingFan said:

I propose copying that configuration and adding it as a supported board.

Armbian team has very limited resources, we can't pick this up, and I doubt there will be a pileup of people from community doing this. If you (or anyone reading this) is interested to maintain CB1 and/or CB2, sent me PM, and I will ask Bigtreetech for help.

Posted (edited)

Current status on the support: mostly working, but having some issues. I am pushing my work on github: https://github.com/JohnTheCoolingFan/armbian-build/tree/btt-cb2-rebase

It is based off of BigTreeTech's fork of armbian build framework here: https://github.com/bigtreetech/build/tree/CB2

Current important issues:

• WiFi hardware isn't being recognized, interface wlan0 doesn't show up in builds made from my branch
  • Some builds are setting the board name to "BigTreeTech CB1" instead of "BigTreeTech CB2"

I'm trying to find out what causes these issues, the first being of higher priority, of course. Any help is welcome.

After these issues resolved, I would like to address the rest of BTT's changes, which include kernel module patches and a patch for a systemd service.

Edited by JohnTheCoolingFan

Both of these problems got resolved today... And I'm a bit ashamed to tell how they were resolved, but I should document this:

• WiFi starts working after a reboot, confirmed on the btt-cb2-rebase branch.
  • The board name is correct (the one in /etc/armbian-release and in motd) if debs and packages-hashed dirs in the output dir are cleaned (rm -r).