Problem upgrading kernel-image on cubietruck (Ubuntu Xenial)

aristide

Hi,

I found a similar thread about space problem on /boot when upgrading the kernel, but it was with debian jessie, not Ubuntu, and the proposed "trick" doesn't seem to work anymore:

This is what I get:

Setting up initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8.8) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Setting up tree (1.7.0-3) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8.8) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-3.4.112-sun7i.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-3.4.112-sun7i': Operation not permitted
cp: error writing '/boot/initrd.img-3.4.112-sun7i.dpkg-bak': No space left on device
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Actually, I am facing this problem since I set up my system a year ago, but didn't take the time to solve it. But now, I would like to finish the aimed set up of the device (home server) and would like to get this out of the way.

Thanks for any suggestion.

15 minutes ago, aristide said:

No space left on device

You ran out of space on boot parittion. We used to have very small boot partition in the past - perhaps this is the case?

Try this way - remove kernel (apt-get remove linux-image-sun7i) and install it manually (apt-get install linux-image-sun7i).

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your help.

After returning from vacation, I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, something went wrong during the install of the new kernel, and my Cubietruck won't boot.

It is set up to boot from nand, with / on SATA (actually three partitions with '/', '/var' and '/srv' on SATA) and /boot on nand.

When I boot from an SD-card (old copy I had), I can mount all partitions, and also those from the nand-flash (see listings of files on nand1 and nand2).

Is there a way to repair the system without reinstalling everything ?

The boot partition on /dev/nand1 is effectively small (32M). May be some files could be deleted, and the partition later be expanded (there seem to be nothing on /dev/nand2, which is over 7G). There might be a problem though on the nand flash. Sfdisk can not list the two partitions on it:

root@cubietruck:/media/nand1# sfdisk -l /dev/nand
Disk /dev/nand: cannot get geometry

Disk /dev/nand: 936 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 3069079552 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/nand: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Thanks again and best regards

20170801_boot_log.txt

dev_nand1.txt