HDMI2 - Second HDMI screen not working

SeanTheITGuy
Go to solution Solved by royk,

I have set up Armbian 24.8.4 bookworm on my 32GB Orange Pi 5 Plus. Most everything works as expected out of the box. The second HDMI port doesn't detect the second screen, and the screen displays No Signal.

I have tested the cables and monitors to ensure they are functioning. I have also ensured I wasn't plugged into the HDMI input by accident.

I was about ready to proclaim it a hardware issue, but on booting the "Official" Orange PiOS Arch image, the dual monitor support worked as expected.  I checked the dtb file included with the Arch image, and it has many references to HDMI0 and HDMI1 devices, while the one used by default with the Armbian image only references HDMI0. I'm unsure if that's related, as I'm not entirely sure how those device tree mechanisms work.  On a ham-fisted hunch, I tried just copying the dtb file from the Arch install to /boot/dtb/rockchip/ and pointing armbianEnv.txt at that, which resulted in a no-boot condition.

Curious if there's any tips or tricks to getting the second monitor output to work with this device under Armbian.

Attached are copies of the disassembled dtb files, in case they have any relevance.

rk3588-orangepi-5-plus-arch.dts rk3588-orangepi-5-plus-armbian.dts

That would be a good answer. Is that documented anywhere as to changing the kernel? This is the default one the image uses.

Confirmed that this was the issue. Was not aware of the various kernel classifications. Something else to delve into. It's my first week with an ARM64 based system. I'll get there eventually.  Thanks for the help.

Edited by SeanTheITGuy
Confirming correct solution.

Not sure if it's documented somewhere, there are some posts about it, but it's in general with these arm boards, mainline support is behind and some will never get (full) mainline support. At least for the rk3588 Collabora is working on it and they got already far.

There are also images with the 6.1.75 vendor kernel by the way:

https://mirror.vinehost.net/armbian/dl/orangepi5-plus/archive/

Edited by royk