Olimex Micro Overheating

Mikec

Last night I was digging through the logs, and i found an error msg that said that I was over clocking the board without without heat protection. Couple of Questions:

1 I don't have a heat sink on the CPU, do I need one?

2 I haven't done anything to the CPU speed, and running Wheezy and Jessie off of different SD's.  Is overclocking turned on in the release?

It is really cold here in the high Desert, right around freezing for 4 to 12 hours every night.  Not as cold as northern EU, but cold.  The room temp is probably 60-65 degrees F.  I have the Micro in the Micro case from Olimex.  Does the processor need a heat sink?

thanks in advance

Mike

Does the processor need a heat sink?

Normally not. And in case the SoC would overheat a heatsink won't help that much inside an enclosure without airflow. Which kernel version do you use? In case it's 3.4 it's easy to read out both the PMU's and the SoC's internal temperature: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/155-testers-wanted-sunxi-adjustments-for-rpi-monitor/

According the download page it says the Kernel is 3.4.110.  Is there a command (like cat /etc/debian_version) to check that kernel version?

I'll check out the monitor, that looks pretty cool.

thanks

MikeC 

Is there a command (like cat /etc/debian_version) to check that kernel version?

It's 

uname -a

With mainline kernel temperature read-outs might not work (that reliable). There has been support for the SoC's temp introduced some time ago but in the first versions with kernel 4.x the temperatures were just wrong (below ambient temperature). I always found that the PMU's temperature is way more reliable but for the PMU temp in mainline kernel you would need a patch (and lm-sensors IIRC). Don't know whether Igor includes the necessary patch in his mainline images.

Igor is doing something because if I look at the raw data in /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone/temp I get a different temp than when I log in on terminal.  I was checking it by logging in through putty and then getting temp from cat temp...  I got 39200.  Then I log in on the terminal and I got a temp 39.4.  Several tries and this was as close as they got.  The range was .2 to .6.