Documentation about integrating kernel patches

frogx

Is there any documentation related to patch integration in building process ? i see a folder userpatches but no doc associated with it. I need to build the aufs kernel module for docker on my olimex A20 lime2 and have no idea of the process. What i curently do is:

> force 4.2.6 kernel version in next (same as my curent armbian image for my lime2)

> start the building process

> checkout aufs standalone for 4.2 in kernel sources folder

> patch the kernel with aufs support

> manualy reconfigure kernel with the arm toolchain to enable aufs integration as module

> manualy build module with the arm toolchain

> put the module on my lime2 and configure all the stuff

This process is boring and i realy apreciate some indications about patch integration :-)

There is no documentation yet, and adding new modules is not fully supported, but you can try following:

Skip first 3 steps if you already have aufs patches in form of .patch file(s))

• Check out fresh copy of kernel sources into new directory
  • Apply all needed aufs patches (except for reconfiguring kernel part)
  • Create patch file by executing "git add ." and "git diff --staged > aufs.patch" in kernel sources root. Double check that patch file doesn't have non-needed stuff like backup files
  • Put all .patch files in subdirectory in userpatches/kernel (look for hint at the beginning of the build process)
[ o.k. ] Started patching process for [ kernel sunxi-next 4.3.3 ]
[ o.k. ] Looking for user patches in [ userpatches/kernel/sunxi-next ]
  • Set build script option "KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes" (and KERNELTAG="v4.2.6" if aufs patches are specific to exact kernel version) and enable aufs module in kernel configuration menu
  • After building is done, set build script option "KERNEL_KEEP_CONFIG=yes" to prevent replacing your kernel config with standart version

Note: if later you decide to compile another kernel version, you will need to enable AUFS in kernel configuration menu again. This is why I said that adding new modules is not fully supported - you can easily apply patches to kernel sources, but patching kernel .config file is tricky.