Web page(s) redesign

Igor

I don't know if it is needed to know about, but recently the site stopped working with Palemoon (Version: 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP)). Namely, it's not possible to use the post editor. it is not an editor anymore. :) "quote this" also doesn't work.

17 minutes ago, valant said:

I don't know if it is needed to know about, but recently the site stopped working with Palemoon (Version: 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP)). Namely, it's not possible to use the post editor. it is not an editor anymore. :) "quote this" also doesn't work.

Even in a perfect condition those forum functions are sadly not working perfectly fine. For reporting and discussing bugs, this place should be a good start: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/497-peer-to-peer-technical-support/

I am always in doubt when a new forum update is out since we don't have resources to fix bugs inside forum engine :( "Will this new one actually fix some of the bugs or introduce new ones?" "Do I have the time to apply quick fixes in case of major problems?" ...

Update. CMS backend is fully operational at this stage, tested and actual data is slowly moving there, frontend early WIP, sorting at download selection is not finished, the download page is also in making.

On 27. 11. 2017 at 9:26 AM, tkaiser said:

Better no information than misleading/wrong information. Unless this categorization can be edited/reviewed by us (eg. part of board config files) I would really prefer to stop 'advertising' wrong features.

Check below if this way is better. Exceptions - like a partially broken or slow SATA can be added as one of the device issues or we only expose known working features and strictly forget about crippled ones? WIFI on Opi Zero, Sata on some Oranges, ... ?

On 26. 11. 2017 at 4:32 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

A CMS is easier to manage (change, extend, add new stuff; and especially when multiple people want to improve things) than the current approach.

Solved. This is how adding a device looks like.

Spoiler

1.png

This is how editing a kernel looks like:

Spoiler

2.png

This is copy paste from the internal manual "how to add things". It might trigger valuable questions if backend needs more changes, something important was left out or this how-to is unclear:

Adding:

Devices :
- name, publish date and slug must remain the same as an old page
- picture size is 1920x1080, transparent, shrunk with https://tinypng.com
- specifications are predefined and you only select them. The same can be defined to the kernel and you only choose unique for this device. If they are doubled, no problem.
- choose whether the device is supported or not
- expose how many kernels from added are in the prime download section (1 or 2), others are shown below as "more download options"
- define download slug. Useful when adding devices which use images from other boards (HC1 from Odroidxu 4 for example)
- create download links by choosing: distribution, kernel, desktop and nightly. You can specify which links to expose: direct, torrent or both
- choose compatible accessories from the list, unique for this board
- choose maker and SoC

Makers:
- logo size 512x512, transparent png, shrunk with https://tinypng.com/
- name and URL

SoC:
- logo only for the chip maker, size 512x512, transparent png, shrunk with https://tinypng.com/
- name and URL

Kernel:
- use the same naming as we use in a build script https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/kernel
- select if the kernel is supported or not
- estimate progress level: > 50 for dev, > 75 testing, > 90 stable.
- type what is the name of the button »mainline kernel 4.14.y«, »legacy kernel 3.4.y«, …
- type description for below download button
- describe the issue in a bullet list format, one issue per bullet
- select only kernel related specifications (32bit, 64bit) and kernel related accessories if any

Accessories:
- add a generic name
- URL is copy paste from old page or just google/eBay search link
- CHIP is internal chip id if any (8812AU for wireless as an example). You can add them more, to add more chips under one generic name.
- select specification if any
- picture size: 1920x1080, transparent, shrunk with https://tinypng.com

Newsflash:
- title
- content

An early preview of the download page. There are some concerns regarding specifications - are there too many of them and is it really hard to keep it updated? (nevertheless its more simple than updating such text) Eg. IMO Bluetooth is ticked only if it's working and not if the board has it, some specs might be kernel related (docker), some are undisputable (RPi size), some came only in full/the best version of the board. 

Makers logo and SoC data also be aligned below in specifications. Is it correct wording?

download-page-wip1.png

Docker can be attached to a kernel,
bluetooth to our work if enabled and working (not anymore as hw feature),
gigabit ethernet is a hw feature. Most of specs are well known to those which are working with the board.

I disagree, because this differentiation is totally in the eye of the beholder. If you want to make this kind of information you have to cover both, like it is done here: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Status_Matrix

Which makes it quite difficult to maintain (error free) - the past learned us that from changes in Mainline-Kernel sometimes a Bluetooth suddenly stopped working, SoC start to run hot, for example.

I suggest to cover it in the naming theme of the Kernel: Testing, Beta, Stable | or to be more clear to outsiders:  Alpha, Beta, Stable.

OUTSIDE stable, you are on your own.

Accessories  |  Tested gadgetry  |  Compatible HW

It is an opportunity with affiliates Link to AMAZON, but more importantly, which Chip is inside (driver), that is supported. This informationis missing.

46 minutes ago, Tido said:

If you want to make this kind of information you have to cover both, like it is done here: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Status_Matrix

We certainly don't need to go that much into the details, but how much is enough. I only know that this decision shall be made before we sweep the database and waste time adjusting this. I made this decision based on propositions found in this topic ... I am really not sure what is the best. What should be there? Something between a single download link and a bunch of tags which describe overall experience. Hardware and software wise since its hard to tell what people think is hw and what sw. Even we have this dilemma sometimes.

Which makes it quite difficult to maintain (error free) - the past learned us that from changes in Mainline-Kernel sometimes a Bluetooth suddenly stopped working, SoC start to run hot, for example.

If BT stops working, this is just a bug and disclaimer shall be extended/modified that we are covered. 

I suggest to cover it in the naming theme of the Kernel: Testing, Beta, Stable | or to be more clear to outsiders:  Alpha, Beta, Stable.

OUTSIDE stable, you are on your own.

Well. This is not that simple as it might sound. People are welcome to use whatever and we shall not scare them ... for example. A few weeks ago I saw someone wasting time with Espressobin bin stock Ubuntu build which is the one and only build and horribly outdated. I recommended: Hey use Armbian. It is in a much much better state ... and his response was ... oh? Really? I didn't even bother to try it since it was labeled testing. What does this tell us?

Our only problem is that we don't want that people bother us with support when things are clearly not done and/or full of bugs. We have to say loud: when some board starts to receive our support is already miles away from a stock build, but it can't be just stable yet. Espressobin bin is a typical example.

The main problem with our website is/was bad UX and the key feature of a bad UX are confusions. We have to cut them down and if bigger feature list helps in this matter but with higher maintenance cost, be it. In the end, there shall be a compromise anyway.

10 minutes ago, raschid said:

to kernel.org

where did you read in my posting this ?

We started to call it Mainline instead of Vanilla, because it is easier to understand. The three terms used are common in SW development.

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

I didn't even bother to try it since it was labeled testing. What does this tell us?

Phuu, sounds like what @chwe just wrote in another thread - we have to explain our Terminology. We know what we do and why - but we fail to spread the word.

That said, if it says 'Alpha' it has a link that leads to its terminology, for example.

This I found via Google :blink: shame on me .. the link says: Package repository , I was looking for Kernel details - or is it our UX and more information about our Terminology - what we can change now.

As @Igor announced multiple times, the new website is near to the roll out. Despite docs, it will also contain a FAQ section.  For the 'power users' a lot of armbian related stuff and behaviour is obvious and we might not see what a new user confuses or where they struggle. That said, what confused you when you used armbian the first time? Which 'common mistakes' could be avoided by writing them into the FAQs so that people don't struggle when they use Armbian the first time? 

IMO the FAQ should be generic and not board specific but feel free to post everything which should be visible there. 

On 23. 4. 2018 at 11:57 PM, chwe said:

the new website is near to the roll out

Migration date is set to Monday, May 7th. 

- devices download pages were checked many times but still, there might be some wrong data. Since now anyone can quickly fix, this is not a problem.
- FAQ is not finished at this moment and even it won't be ready for the release that this is not a big issue. 

- I am still working on a content of "contribute", "about", "kernel, ... pages. Worst case, if I won't' be able to make something, content will be copy/pasted from the old page.