Compiling u-boot v2015.01

Since I was experiencing the eMMC corruption issue with u-boot 2017.11 & mainline, I'm back to the Armbian Xenial (legacy kernel) image.  Everything works great, except I need to tweak the u-boot config slightly.  To start, I'm just building the defconfig and then going from there.

So for what I'm doing on my Ubuntu Bionic devel VM:

$ git clone --single-brach --branch odroidc2-v2015.01 --depth 1 https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot.git

$ <apply the 2 patches from https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/u-boot/u-boot-odroidc2 >

$ export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-

$ make odroidc2_defconfig && make

$ sudo cp sd_fuse/{bl1.bin.hardkernel,u-boot.bin}  /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-odroidc2_5.37.180120_arm64

$ sudo -i

# source /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-odroidc2_5.37.180120_arm64/platform_install.sh

# write_uboot_platform /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-odroidc2_5.37.180120_arm64 /dev/mmcblk0

That all works, except when I reboot, U-boot goes into a tight loop about not being able to load a valid bmp and then unrecognized file format.  I'll get the exact text in the morning after I reload the old files onto the eMMC again.

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Jail Bird said:

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Why don't you simply(!) use our build tools which creates a .deb package by using a proven(!) compiler and you only need to install it with dpkg? It limits problems. If you need to make changes, use a parameter CREATE_PATCHES="yes" ... if you are creating a patch for def_config, you need to compile twice since .config was already made.

12 hours ago, Igor said:

Why don't you simply(!) use our build tools which creates a .deb package by using a proven(!) compiler and you only need to install it with dpkg? It limits problems. If you need to make changes, use a parameter CREATE_PATCHES="yes" ... if you are creating a patch for def_config, you need to compile twice since .config was already made.

Igor,

Ah, thanks for the CREATE_PATCHES tip.  I was trying to cheat and not rebuild the whole thing if I didn't need to, and I wasn't sure about patching the code. So I'll look into that!

Basically the problem is that the default u-boot is configured to respond to both UARTs, and I have a GPS unit spewing NMEA output attached to the UART on the GPIO pins.  u-boot receives the output and aborts autoboot, and so the unit never boots.  Easy config change,  but when the new binary doesn't work.. :)

Thanks again!