Softy logging failed installations ?

zsolt

Hi,

I recently bought an Odroid HC1 and installed Debian 8 on it. I am being quite happy so far with the installation, however this softy installer is very frustrating. I tried to install Syncthing, which failed to start, then now Webmin, hoping to be of "smaller scale", but no lack. It repeatedly fails to do something, displaying the errors behind the curses window, so I had to stop it with Ctrl-C. Then I got back to the menu and after quit, a cleared screen. Brilliant. Are there logs stored somewhere, at least? I checked /var/log/, but got no further. Or how I am supposed to go through failing installations?

Thank you,

This software installer is extremely hard to keep up on up to three different distributions. We keep it minimal and I guess even that is too much. I notice that Webmin is broken and it will be simply removed since they broke something and ... blame goes on us. The one who needs it, its better to follow official instructions and hope they are ok. It's out of our power to maintain this.

Synthching was working last time. If it fails, the only way is to proceed some manual way: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials

Sorry to get back only now, I did not find my topic ;)

Yeah, I can understand that it's hard to keep it up. My concerns were more about not seeing anything it is doing, which might be fine when everything is Ok, but not when they fail. The std err, for example, is a good source of information in this case: I imagine catching it somewhere and presenting it to the user after installation. But I'm not sure it is worth the effort maintaining. Because of my experience, I decided to not use Softy at all and install software rather from their source.

So I installed Webmin from their website and it works fine. Syncthing was clearly failing to start, so I removed it, also because I realised I am not interested. Yeah, I removed it, using snapshots.

What "technology" are you using for this Softy, btw?