Cannot connect an encrypted disk

zsolt

I installed a Debian Jessie on an Odroid HC1, and trying to connect an encrypted disk to it via USB. blkid lists the device:

# blkid
/dev/sdb1: UUID="2288876d-0fe8-4b5a-b7d1-1660df8b2e25" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="c8895b7f-01"

but when I try to open it with luksOpen:

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 sdb1_crypted
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda1:

After entering the passphrase (and Enter), it hangs. The SSH connection times out after 1-2 minutes (where to enlarge?)  and there is no HDMI on the HC1, so I am left blind.

The disk was created and used in another system and worked perfectly on a Raspberry PI and my Linux PC.

I created a key file and added it to /etc/crypttab, hoping the system will open it such, but no luck. I cannot connect to the board then, it doesn't set up even the network interface (it uses a wired Ethernet). It is on for 45 minutes now, and the 3 LEDs: blue and green on the Odroid, and the one at the disk are flashing or lighting continuously,  but I don't know what is happening (cannot connect). The disk is connected through a powered USB HUB to the Odroid USB2 host port. What could be happening?

Forum admins: can you pls. message me somehow if this is or not posted? I submitted another message a few weeks ago but could not find it on the forum ("Notify me of replies" is on, but I could not find even my post). Thanks,

2 hours ago, Xalius said:

Can you get a serial log while you do that, or at least run a second SSH connection with "dmesg -w"  to maybe capture some error messages?

From "dmesg -w" I got only 

NET: Registered protocol family 38

until the connection times out, doesn't seem too much. Unfortunately I don't have a serial log, I'll order an USB UART adaptor, but that will take a few days.

15 hours ago, zsolt said:

Forum admins: can you pls. message me somehow if this is or not posted? I submitted another message a few weeks ago but could not find it on the forum ("Notify me of replies" is on, but I could not find even my post). Thanks,

https://forum.armbian.com/profile/8426-zsolt/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjY2NDIsImlkXzIiOjUwNDU1fQ==

So the only tread you opened if from feb 25th (and I don't see you as a subscriber to it, but you didn't read it since then.. :P)..

I'm not an admin so I can't say if something is lost somewhere else but you joined (with this nickname) on the 25th..

5 hours ago, chwe said:

https://forum.armbian.com/profile/8426-zsolt/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjY2NDIsImlkXzIiOjUwNDU1fQ==

So the only tread you opened if from feb 25th (and I don't see you as a subscriber to it, but you didn't read it since then.. :P)..

Thank you for this, for some reason I didn't find my thread before. Still learning this forum ;-)