Nice Phoronix benchmark

Rfreire

Hi all,

Saw that via Slashdot. A RPI 3 b+ benchmark comparing against other SBCs and TinkerBoard.

Check it out: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberrypi-3-bplus

Feeling great for buying one, after reading all 18 pages of the forum!

Ah. A big shout THANK YOU to Igor, Tony, Kaiser and everyone else that helped build a working Armbian release to this SBC.

-RF

Well, the rk3288 of the tinkerboard is still an out-of-order architecture, which has a better IPC (but it is also more power hungry) than the in-order architecture of the bcm2837 of the rpi3b+

57 minutes ago, jock said:

Well, the rk3288 of the tinkerboard is still an out-of-order architecture, which has a better IPC (but it is also more power hungry) than the in-order architecture of the bcm2837 of the rpi3b+

That's true, however looking at the Pi3 B+ power consumption vs it's performance numbers, honestly the Tinker isn't doing that bad.  It runs 1.8 GHz and is enough more powerful to make the RPi look a bit silly, despite it's power demands.  The question becomes much more about what you want to do, if you're looking for raw performance, you're going to need to do some work on the cooling of either of these boards and, if you're smart, power them via the header pins (I think the Pi3 B+ can be powered via the PoE pins, since really I think they're just a normal power header.  Calling it PoE is IMHO misleading since you need a hat to do it anyway, something that's possible without the special header).  I have a nearly allergic reaction to pure gimmicks like "GbE over USB 2.0", or "look how cool the raspberry on the wifi shield is!" or "We learned to help cool the CPU using the giant mass of copper in the PCB, the way they teach college kids to in second rate schools"   <--- seriously, I learned that in university, it is one of your more basic engineering lessons where you use the least number of pieces to get the job done.  A little more time routing, yes, but seriously, why build something halfway? 

An  interesting comparison would compare power consumption during these benchmarks, the rk3288 boards will win the brute force numbers battle (for now the RK3399 will have it's day soon), and this didn't test the XU4.  It's probable the s905(x) boards would win the power/performance battle, the NanoPi K2 and Libre Computer board I have both run extremely cool compared to the XU4/RK3288/H3  (H3 may just be vendor issues, I understand some run cooler than others)

Cost/Performance becomes the next discussion, assuming heat and dissipation are not the worry, then you get the Pi3b+ in a price bracket (+/- $5) with the Libre Computer S905X (Le Potato)($35-40), The Libre Computer RK3328 "Renegade" with DDR4 and USB3 ($40), and a small pile of H3 boards which all have dedicated ethernet and more than one usb port.

The Rock64 with 1 GB RAM is $25, so that $10 can go to getting a cheap Wifi dongle and you still wind up with true GbE, a USB3 port, etc.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:27 PM, Rfreire said:

Feeling great for buying one, after reading all 18 pages of the forum!

I like the board, I've made a firm statement about my opinion of the powering and cooling situation, but when all is said and done, we get fewer powering issues with it than I think anyone would have expected, most likely due to the PMIC.  Were a community feedback version made (would be a solid move by any vendor for any board), a 2+2 2.54 mm powering header would be one of the first additions (if you simply must keep the RPI form factor), the next a bigger heat sink and a dedicated fan header for PWM cooling (basically all fan-integrating cases just plug them into the 5V GPIO pins).  Even if you hate fans, there are times they need to happen, and it's best to have control of them so they can be silenced when appropriate.

Hi Tony o/

Let me put here my original post in a internal company tech forum:

---

I have created a first-world problem to me: Upgraded my 10 Mbps internet to 120 Mbps. Best part of it: The carrier actually DELIVER it!

While 10 Mbps was sufficient with some tricks (SQM, traffic shaping guests, etc.), well, now I want to be able to get the whole 120 Mbps that I'm paying for. :-P

== CURRENT SCENARIO ==

I still have my good ole Raspi acting as a router/NAT device here. While it worked flawlessly in 10 Mbps without any queueing / contention, well, 120 Mbps seems to be too much for it (besides the fact that its NIC is 100 Mbps).

I don't run any extra physical interface in this system: Every interface is a VLAN tagged interface (which puts more effort into the poor raspi).

Right now I can pull up to ~ 75 Mbps of NATed traffic.

== THE REQUEST AND REQUISITES ==

* The system must have a gigabit interface (doh)

* The system must be able to cope with the 120 Mbps traffic 

* The system must support Fedora or Debian

* The system must be as power efficient as possible (so ensures greater endurance of my UPS).

* The system must have a USB connection (bonus points to USB3)

* There's _no need at all_ for Wifi (I defer to my UBNT UAP-AC-Pro) or other ethernet ports (Because... vlan.tag++).

I was wondering about a 2nd hand laptop (a used X201), but... Well, I am not happy with its power consumption. Moving from a raspi to a laptop seems just too much to me.

Mikrotik has a competent hardware. But, no USB & installing Linux over it is just too... Complicated.

I thought about the new raspi 3 B+. But while it have a gigabit internet, their USB backplane is still 2.0, meaning max theoretical ~  400 Mbps... In a shared bus. Take a router where the traffic passes two times (in and forwarding), and considering that the processor was not upgraded, I think that the raspi 3B+ won't be able to meet my needs too, since the processor is still the same, just slightly over clocked.

What is your suggestion?

---

Well then I have heard lots of things, from Banana Pi to a Czech router/SBC, along some fanless x86_64.

Tinkerboard will surely meet my needs (a friend of mine came yesterday from USA bringing mine), since it have a real gigabit backplane for the interface, along with a beefier processor.

I'll use a good 5v wall wart directly to the 5v pins, while a LM2596 that I bought from dx does not arrive.

Oh, power dissipation issues diligently noted. Will sort out something better in the future, since the envisioned processor load is slated to be very minimal during normal operation and not something avg > 10%.

Thank you VERY much, Tony!!!

I had a similar issue. Had my 100/20mbit fibre upgraded to 950/450 and my cubietruck couldn't keep up with serving files over HTTPS.

I was planning on swapping it with an espressobin but have up waiting for hardware crypto support and the dram timing issues causing kernel panics eroded my confidence in it.

Ended up using a rock64 and it's been performing very well. 

23 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I have a second round prototype of a power mezannine board at fab, after some testing I'll let folks know how it goes.  Would be far superior (read, safe) to plumbing unfiltered power to the GPIO.

Great to hear Tony!

Hope that give back some bucks to you ;-)