Rock64 crashes on boot

bambam

New user of a Rock64 board, I've tinkered with a RaspberryPi and BeagleBone before but wanted something to set up as a home media server.

I flashed the SD card with an "Armbian_5.42_Rock64_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.4.124" image and it worked perfectly fine at home, connecting to my network, etc.

However, I took it to a new location and it straight up refuses to boot. I've tried it on several displays and with several HDMI cables. It hangs for a solid 30-45 seconds after initiating boot with a black HDMI screen, and then turns off and back on dumping a log citing either spinup shutdown errors or a temperature shutdown on Core 0.

I've flashed a separate SD card with the same image as well as the stretch image off the main Armbian page and both of them work for a short while but then proceed to crash seemingly without change ~24 hours later.

Is there a large chance my board is simply intermittently dead or is the Rock64 known for being extremely picky with HDMI cables/monitors at boot?

Edit: Got it home to my original setup and I have no dice there. I'm at a loss - everything seems to work perfectly with the board after flashing but only for a day or so, then it gets stuck on boot. At this point I'm keen to put it down as a defective board, I'm not sure what else it would be after trying different images, SD cards, HDMI cables, and monitors.

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

If the board is not broken ... one possible explanation is that filesystem gets corrupted due to not perfect SD card/driver combo. But even this is a very long shot. There has been a lot of upstream kernel changes so it is hard to be sure where is the source of your problem.

10 hours ago, bambam said:

New user of a Rock64 board, I've tinkered with a RaspberryPi and BeagleBone before but wanted something to set up as a home media server.

Rock64 is nice, powerful but also a complex board. Software support is not on the same level as simple (and stupid) hardware design from 2009 (Videocore + ARM core(s), single USB2 line: RPi 1,2,3). Despite this, Rock64 works pretty well and I never experienced problems you have.