All strange to a new user

theguyuk

I am new to single board computers and have previously used Microsoft Windows computers or Android TV dongle/box.

I do find it a bit odd that everyone seems to be working on their own versions of operating systems.  It would be a bit like Intel coding their own Windows and AMD coding their own version of windows too.

Now while people have different aims and software needs it is I think a shame all the different programmers and groups cannot come together more on software.

You have the various

Linuxs

Then all the soc variations.

Now Armbian seems a step in the right direction and you have various Socs and SBC computers, it is just a pity Xapple, Lemaker, Banana , Orange etc cannot pull together as well as the various programmers.  

Build like Windows etc one operating system that just loads the drivers for the hardware differences and components.  

I guess I am just to naive about the way things really are.

Build like Windows etc one operating system that just loads the drivers for the hardware differences and components.  

I guess I am just to naive about the way things really are.

No, you are'nt too naive, it's just linux which takes too dinosauric approaches with monolithic kernel (and overall model, the model of lacking any model) that turns all this situation into such a mess. You asked a reasonable question, I am an NT guy not linux one, and I was always wondering why the hell the situation around these sbc's, mostly powered by linux, why it is so abysmal, with all those bunches of variants of bunches of distros (images, bsp's) every of which is made for the only board, and not working anyway easily there, not to mention being compatible to some other even very related board (often even with the same SoC on the board). Supposed to be compatible it is turned out to be as incompatible as possible and so for example some image for cubieboard with no chance would run on some banana or whatever. It's the most reasonable thinking - why the situation isn't as it is with desktop Windows, when you have the same set of kernel images and then, after installing them, you do add all needed drivers from the vendor. And that's all. It works. Without any freaking recompiling, patching and actually redisigning. But how many different motherboard vendors, models, variants exist? There is even more diversity over there, because there is no single SoC chip on the board which encapsulates a plenty of peripheral controllers on it, helping with unification. There, we see discrete CPU, chip set, GPU, and other controllers which all vary. Even though, we see, there is no such a problem as is here, in the arm sbc landscape, where you inevitably will face with awful and numerous incompatibility issues. And mostly they are due to linux poorly thought designed crossplatforminess. it just isn't a good constructor for a vendor to play with. The only thing it has is its open sourceness. But at the level of architecture, internal API's, driver models... what driver model? It is very chaotic and as a consequense mediocre both at the dimension of easiness of porting, bringing to a new device, and at the dimension of quality. never mind what are saying its fans. you just see it by the reality and the fact such questions as yours appear, only proves this.

Anyway I'm definitely have begun wrong way on the linux lovers site with linux bushing. :lol: Sorry for this, I won't do it anymore xD it's just the TS question, it was so close to me! I couldn't resist myself to add my own 5 cents.

I am ineterested in arm (particularly) sbc's and in system development on them. I has come here to read mostly. there is useful information on the topic for me here, since the guys do a great deal of work and I definitely have something to learn from their working communication. Even if my work isn't related to linux. I'm going to be a non-visible reader, so, sorry for kind of flame again.

Thank you for a nice read before falling asleep, with a relaxing grin.

monolithic and others in your writing has been discussed a million times before and it will be in the future.

I could now give you some examples for these and that | pros & cons, but I guess you already know the answers.

In the Film Matrix he says, people don't like to live in a perfect world.

Just one thought, I setup a Linux PC with fast USB3 Stick and SSD in 4min, incl. all drivers and programs.

Beat me with Windows and Microkernel :D

y friend wanted get rid of Windows 10 upgrade on his laptop. When he wanted close window contained information about this upgrade it was not possible. He started comunication with Microsoft support.

How can I remove this screen? How can I close this screen?

You cannot remove it.

But I do not want upgrade. Can I just delete some files?

You cannot. Is is hacking and this is ilegall.

OK. I am going to use third party soft to get rid of it.

(I forget their answer but it was like speak to robot again and answer was like previous one.)

This is reason why is software under GPL very good choice because for example if something is wrong  you can fix it legally.