ODROID XU4 Network problem

simonmicro

So, before some days I've updated some packages - so I can't say which update cause the following described problem:

The Odroid boots up and doesn't do a dhcp query - the eth0 interface won't get any IP-Address.

'nmtui' shows (even if I delete every connections and set mine to default) after every reboot a new connection with "eth0" as name and no dchp config and no automatic connect selected. Trying to use armbian-config and set IP to DHCP wont help also, because at the next reboot this "ghost" profile appears again and overwrites the Armbian profile. If I try to activate the Armbian profile (or mine) the "ghost" profile disappears...

My /etc/network/interfaces contains only the auto lo stuff - nothing related to eth0.

A temporary solution is to restart the network-manager, this will trigger a dhcp request and the interface is up again.

Also temporary is my actual solution: Writing "auto eth0 \n iface eth0 inet dhcp" to /etc/network/interfaces

Has anyone some advise or ideas how to workaround this?

Thanks,

Simonmicro

@Igor

I hope this are the neccessary information. Right?

X@X ~ $ uname -a

Linux X 4.14.55-odroidxu4 #6 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 13 13:25:12 CEST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

X@X ~ $ cat /etc/armbian-release

# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=odroidxu4
BOARD_NAME="Odroid XU4"
BOARDFAMILY=odroidxu4
VERSION=5.58                                           LINUXFAMILY=odroidxu4                                BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=zImage
X@X ~ $ cat /etc/armbian-image-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=odroidxu4
BOARD_NAME="Odroid XU4"
BOARDFAMILY=odroidxu4
VERSION=5.45
LINUXFAMILY=odroidxu4
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=user-built
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=zImage
d5a58ebc-1e53-4961-b08a-977c54ba258a

Thnks for your response,

Simonmicro

As I predicted, you are using Jessie which Network manager has many problems ...  problem is not related directly to Odroid XU4 nor Armbian so I am moving this to Common section.

Disable Network Manager and use ifupdown only, while the best solution is to start with a Debian Stretch.

Well, I am not sure about this. I am using one of the offical Armbian images, all basing on stretch. Also using "cat /etc/debian_version" or "cat /etc/issue" my system reports debian version 9 - stretch.

Ifupdown is a possible solution, but I would prefer using the network manager - because it is also used by the armbian-config script and easier to use with "nmtui".

Simonmicro