1 1
wanda

cubox-i-4: firmware for imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q.bin missing

while checking the state of systemd I encountered

systemctl is-system-running
degraded

with

systemctl --state=failed
  UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                                                                                                                                                                               
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules                                                                                                                                                                       

and

in /var/log/messages

Nov 21 12:52:54 localhost kernel: imx-sdma 20ec000.sdma: Direct firmware load for imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q.bin failed with error -2

Is there a module missing:

dpkg -L armbian-firmware | grep sdma
/lib/firmware/imx/sdma
/lib/firmware/imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx25-to1.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx31-to1.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx31-to2.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx35-to1.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx35-to2.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx51-to3.bin
/lib/firmware/sdma/sdma-imx53-to1.bin

Any idea how I can fix it ?
armbianmonitor output

18 hours ago, wanda said:

Any idea how I can fix it ?

Probably path in the kernel source is pointing elsewhere, to /etc/lib/firmware perhaps?

In any case its safe to ignore.

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Probably path in the kernel source is pointing elsewhere, to /etc/lib/firmware perhaps?

In any case its safe to ignore.

Ok, I don't use a self-compiled kernel.

I am not sure if this helps to find the answer: I performed a

/usr/src/linux-headers-4.14.70-cubox# grep -ir "lib/firmware" *
drivers/media/dvb-frontends/Kconfig:	  or /lib/firmware (depending on configuration of firmware hotplug).
drivers/media/dvb-frontends/Kconfig:	  or /lib/firmware (depending on configuration of firmware hotplug).
drivers/media/dvb-frontends/Kconfig:	  /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware (depending on
drivers/media/pci/ttpci/Kconfig:	  or /lib/firmware (depending on configuration of firmware hotplug).
drivers/media/usb/ttusb-dec/Kconfig:	  or /lib/firmware (depending on configuration of firmware hotplug).
drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:	  /lib/firmware directory or one of the provided built-in
drivers/mmc/host/Kconfig:	  and put them in /lib/firmware. Note that without these additional
drivers/net/wireless/intersil/p54/Kconfig:	 file is put at the right place. (usually /lib/firmware.)
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8189es/Makefile:#EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DREALTEK_CONFIG_PATH=\"/lib/firmware/\"
drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlegacy/Kconfig:	  The microcode is typically installed in /lib/firmware. You can
drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlegacy/Kconfig:	  The microcode is typically installed in /lib/firmware. You can
drivers/net/wireless/intel/ipw2x00/Kconfig:	  will need to place it in /lib/firmware.
drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/Kconfig:	  The firmware is typically installed in /lib/firmware. You can
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/Makefile:#EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DREALTEK_CONFIG_PATH=\"/lib/firmware/\"
drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8189fs/Makefile:#EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DREALTEK_CONFIG_PATH=\"/lib/firmware/\"
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/Makefile:	cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/.
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/Makefile:	mkdir -p /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/Makefile:	cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/.
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8814au/Makefile:#EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DREALTEK_CONFIG_PATH=\"/lib/firmware/\"
drivers/base/Kconfig.orig:	  /lib/firmware/ on your system, so they can be loaded by userspace
drivers/base/Kconfig.orig:	default "/lib/firmware"
drivers/base/Kconfig:	  /lib/firmware/ on your system, so they can be loaded by userspace
drivers/base/Kconfig:	default "/lib/firmware"
drivers/remoteproc/Kconfig:	  loaded on the DSP.  This file must reside in the /lib/firmware
scripts/get_dvb_firmware:Now copy it(them) to either /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware
scripts/extract_xc3028.pl:#		cp xc3028-v24.fw /lib/firmware
scripts/extract_xc3028.pl:#		cp xc3028-v27.fw /lib/firmware
sound/isa/Kconfig:	  files into the /lib/firmware directory.

and I suppose this is  the important part, or not ?

drivers/base/Kconfig:      /lib/firmware/ on your system, so they can be loaded by userspace
drivers/base/Kconfig:    default "/lib/firmware"

If yes, the path is correct, but the module is really missing:

tree /lib/firmware/sdma/
/lib/firmware/sdma/
├── sdma-imx25-to1.bin
├── sdma-imx31-to1.bin
├── sdma-imx31-to2.bin
├── sdma-imx35-to1.bin
├── sdma-imx35-to2.bin
├── sdma-imx51-to3.bin
└── sdma-imx53-to1.bin

Is there any way to get it ?

1 minute ago, Igor said:

Which functiAonality are you missing?

A correct status of systemd.

I just checked, I reinstalled armbian-firmware yesterday to be sure.

One idea: could I switch from armbian kernel to regular debian kernel and firmware for a test ?