IPTV rebroadcasting mission - MPEG to HLS

Nuke

You can try tvheadend. And, if you want to transcode to h264 on the fly, I recommend combining it with Emby, and using a Odroid XU4 (or even better, HC1) for the task. It has given good results to me.

If you are interested, I can give you more details.

I can decode HTSP from tvheadend with vlc on a pi zero at 1280x1024 but need something more powerfull for 1920x1080. (PI3B+ do the job so I think a PI3A+ would do).

Can you give me some advice for small device that can do it ?

Do you think a Rock64 could transcode DVD mpeg2 to h264 on the fly ?

1 hour ago, arox said:

Do you think a Rock64 could transcode DVD mpeg2 to h264 on the fly ?

I don't see why it *couldn't* if all the pieces are in place.  The question is whether or not the driver stack and applications have all been set up properly for that, which isn't as easy as a standard device with proper support.  This is where Rockchip's uniqueness is unhelpful.

11 hours ago, JMCC said:

If you are interested, I can give you more details.

Yes please.

Never user tvheadend before but heard about it. I am waiting for courier with odroid hc2. I have a plans to use it as home nas with OMV on a board.

Also i  have rpi3b+ with libreelec. 

-

One of my LG TV have 10+ sec buffering after each switch channel when i use iptv playlist from my ISP. Other "free" iptv playlist's working fine and buffering only 1sec. I think this is because my ISP using mpeg and other sources using HLS. So i search a way to fix that. *other devices working good with isp playlist. 

As i can see tvheadend and emby both can be installed to omv as plugins. 

Sorry for the late reply.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, Nuke said:

I have a plans to use it as home nas with OMV on a board.

Well, I don't have much experience with OMV. I tried to use it in combination with Nextcloud on the same machine and it wasn't possible. But it seems like it can be combined with Tvheadend: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/6023-Tvheadend-Setup-and-Config/

Since OMV is based on Debian Stretch, I would assume you can use the ffmpeg packages I compiled with Exynos-5422 HW encoding support:

But, as you see, my tutorial is for emby, not for using HW transcoding directly with Tvheadend. If I want to transcode to h264, Tvheadend only uses transcoding in order to remux the original stream as mpeg-ts, passes it to Emby (through a specific plugin), and Emby does the transcoding. But I never tested it on a machine running OMV.

However, I have experienced that many times it is just enough with remuxing the stream, for the client to be able to connect more easily, without needing to recompress from mpeg2 to h264.

[TL;DR]: MY RECOMMENDATION:

1. First of all, just try and install Tvheadend alongside OMV, following the tutorial in the link I posted above.
  2. Then create a user, and try setting up for that user different default stream profiles (from the list in Settings > Stream > Stream profiles), to see if any of those work well enough for you:
    1. I would recommend starting with "htsp", then trying "pass" (those don't perform any processing on the stream).
    2. If you are not satisfied, then try "mpeg-ts-transcode". It will just remux the stream as mpeg-ts, with very little CPU use.
    3. If it still doesn't work for you, then you should transcode the video. But beware that, if you do it using the CPU, your HC1 will get extremely hot, and that will damage in the long run your attached storage drive. So you should go for HW transcoding, that keeps the CPU nice and cool :)
  3. In order to do HW transcoding, you can either
    1. Connect it to Emby through the Emby Tvheadend plugin, and configure emby as in my tutorial linked above. Notice that you must also set up the correct Stream profile for the user you create in Tvheadend as "emby user" (the user that the Emby Tvheadend plugin will use). I think it is "mpeg-ts-transcode" (not sure, it has been some time), but try the other two if it doesn't work.
    2. Or just download the Exynos-MFC enabled ffmpeg from that tutorial, and figure out a way to make it work with Tvheadend. It probably won't be easy :P  

On 2/6/2019 at 11:09 PM, JMCC said:

MY RECOMMENDATION

Thank you for so useful post! It take few days to understanding this all.

So i have no any positive news about non-transcode methods - then i correctly installed Emby and tvheadend plugin.  My odroid still use >150% when i swtich channel on my TV.

Don't understand where i can make mistake. May be iam choosing some wrong codecs i dunno.

Also i have problems with a tutorial:

Modify the emby executable, to use our custom ffmpeg (Note: you will need to repeat this step every time you update the emby deb package):

$ sudo nano /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server  # Change the following line: ffmpeg $APP_DIR/bin/ffmpeg \ # to: ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg \

i don't know where is correct ffmpeg so i don't know correct way to it

Spoiler

scr8.PNG

scr7.PNG

scr6.PNG

scr5.PNG

scr4.PNG

scr3.PNG

scr1.PNG

scr2.PNG

14 hours ago, Nuke said:

i don't know where is correct ffmpeg so i don't know correct way to it

Just change the line in the file /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server, as instructed in the tutorial.