X2Go Login Auth Failure

Quantum

Trying to reach a headless TinkerBoard with X2Go so I can set up wifi.  SELinux is disabled.  I can SSH in as my user just fine, with and without -i, but when setting the Pyhoca session to "Discover SSH Keys", I get "Not a valid EC private key file!"

Ok, apparently it wants an elliptic curve key.  It never used to accept anything but DSA and RSA.  So I made an ecdsa keypair and ssh-copy-id to the TB.  Same failure.  I know that X2Go can't handle ed25519 unfortunately, so I don't even have that key for my user.

When setting the Pyhoca session SSH key manually to /home/bill/.ssh/id_rsa or /home/bill/.ssh/id_ecdsa, I get, "Not a valid EC private key file!"

When not setting the Pyhoca session SSH key either way, and password is allowed on the TB server, it comes up with a dialog box asking for password, and when I enter the correct one I get, "Authentication failed!"

Needless to say, all three methods work on the commandline.

Showstopper because I can't configure wifi without NetworkManager and NetworkManager requires a GUI, and this machine is headless.

Researched this to the ends of the Earth, but the issues were X2Go from a Windows client (I'm CentOS), a permissions problem on keys or .ssh, or ssh_config forwarding was disabled.  None apply here.  #x2go irc is moribund, and the dev left to do the dishes.

I now remember discovering nmtui in the past two weeks and trying that too.

I can add and set up the wifi interface just fine.  But when I go to Activate it...

it's not there.

Stop/restart nmtui and the interface is still in Add...

but only eth0 is in Activate.

Maybe this Armbian is impractical/impossible.  Why does everyone say that nmtui works for wifi when it doesn't?  Or is it that it doesn't work on the current release?

I always work as root for config.  I've run Linux exclusively for 22 years.  I ran Debian for 15 of those years, but packages weren't updated so I went to CentOS. 

Now it looks to me like Debian has descended into chaos.

Thanks, but wpa_cli has 156 commands.  I've already lost a week full-time tryin to set up this wifi interface using every other method that exists, each one failing in one way of another.

Are you saying that nmtui will add a wifi WPA2 interface for you successfully?  Have you tried this with the current Armbian saveset?

I think it can't work because I have a TB S.  And none of the rest of you has an S.  So Armbian is busted with the TB S.

Yes, and manual setup was what I fell back to after NetworkManager, connman, and nmtui failed.  eth0 worked fine, but no matter how I set up wpa and wlan0 it would not associate.  It would try, but fail with Reason 11. (regulatory not met)  I manually copied regulatory.db and regulatory.db.t4k into /lib/firmware but boot still couldn't find it.

With a clean install and then nmtui, eth0 gets the right static IP, but it is incommunicado with the rest of the network, even after reboot.

This is a lost cause.  I've wasted over a week on a fool's errand.  I should have known better than to mess with Debian again, and just learned how to compile u-boot for Fed.