Orange pi Samba problems

ksm

Hello

Still I could not resolve network problems with orange pi plus. My configuration: Orange pi plus with heatsink, (image Armbian_5.05_Orangepiplus_Debian_jessie_3.4.110), external USB drive(partition ext4). Main problem - when copying large file into samba share network hangs on orangepi board. CPU temperature not exceed 50C when copying. Leds blinking near ethernet cable but ping from cli works only on local ip. Same situation with other orange pi images (debian, lubuntu and ect...)

Please help

Hi

I tried to connect ATX 400W power supply unit - the same result. Has anyone ever tried samba server with OP +, and copy a large file (over 5 GB) to the USB HDD (HDD has a power supply unit)?

Well, it's already known that the BSP Ethernet driver is broken: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/932-appletalk-on-an-orange-pi-one/

I used an Orange Pi PC since months as a NAS. But with mainline kernel and an USB-Ethernet dongle. Now that the mainline drivers are somewhat ready the USB dongle will be replaced. Sorry, no real experiences with sun8i legacy kernel and Ethernet. And since no developer in this world will have a look into this driver any more your only bet is to wait a little bit until an CLI image using vanilla kernel will be released.

You can give this preliminary image a try but be warned that once an official image is out you should reflash the image since upgrades from test images to production ones might work but it's not guaranteed.

Well, it's already known that the BSP Ethernet driver is broken: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/932-appletalk-on-an-orange-pi-one/

I used an Orange Pi PC since months as a NAS. But with mainline kernel and an USB-Ethernet dongle. Now that the mainline drivers are somewhat ready the USB dongle will be replaced. Sorry, no real experiences with sun8i legacy kernel and Ethernet. And since no developer in this world will have a look into this driver any more your only bet is to wait a little bit until an CLI image using vanilla kernel will be released.

You can give this preliminary image a try but be warned that once an official image is out you should reflash the image since upgrades from test images to production ones might work but it's not guaranteed.

Thanks for replay

This image not usable, apt-get not working, i`m cannot install software :(

of course, I was still using my USB-WiFi dongle as network connection.

Ethernet should work with these images. But I don't have the OPi + and were not able to test. Native networking with the image for BPi M2+ worked more or less, same applies to OPi PC (they are stored in the same directory on my server). So at least with Fast Ethernet and internal PHY on OPi PC there shouldn't be a need to use USB based networking equipment any longer.

Hi

Ethernet work (hope stable) but something wrong with file system.

root@orangepipc:~# apt-get install mc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  mc-data
Suggested packages:
  arj catdvi texlive-binaries dbview djvulibre-bin genisoimage gv imagemagick links w3m lynx odt2txt poppler-utils python-boto python-tz xpdf pdf-viewer zip
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  mc mc-data
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,669 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6,621 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/jessie/main mc-data all 3:4.8.13-3 [1,212 kB]
Get:2 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/jessie/main mc armhf 3:4.8.13-3 [457 kB]
Fetched 1,669 kB in 0s (2,135 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package mc-data.
(Reading database ... 51359 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mc-data_3%3a4.8.13-3_all.deb ...
Unpacking mc-data (3:4.8.13-3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mc-data_3%3a4.8.13-3_all.deb (--unpack):
 unable to clean up mess surrounding `./usr/share/locale/wa/LC_MESSAGES' before installing another version: Read-only file system
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/locale/lv/LC_MESSAGES/mc.mo': Read-only file system
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/locale/az/LC_MESSAGES/mc.mo': Read-only file system
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/mc.mo': Read-only file system
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/mc.mo': Read-only file system
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/mc.mo': Read-only file system
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/shaE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
E: Failed to write temporary StateFile /var/lib/apt/extended_states.tmp
root@orangepipc:~# su
-bash: su: command not found
root@orangepipc:~# sudo apt-get install samba
-bash: sudo: command not found
root@orangepipc:~# apt-get install samba
-bash: /usr/bin/apt-get: No such file or directory
root@orangepipc:~# apt-get install mc
-bash: /usr/bin/apt-get: No such file or directory
root@orangepipc:~# reboot
-bash: reboot: command not found
root@orangepipc:~#

With sdcard all ok, i'm formatted again full format fat32 entire card without errors, then again write RC1 image (without errors). Network hangs again when getting updates (apt-get update), network drivers unstable :(

network drivers unstable :(

At least the messages you quoted before indicate filesystem corruption: 'Read-only file system', 'command not found' and finally 'No such file or directory'. No idea what's going on but since driver situation with mainline kernel is still work in progress, it's not worth to further investigate.

By your words 'With sdcard all ok' you refer to having checked the whole card with either F3 or H2testw as suggested by me before?

From the messages above, especially 'command not found' and 'No such file or directory', it look like a "chroot" has been executed wrongly during the install.

Maybe this specific package has something wrong ...

I bet that any other apt-get will work ;)

now after reformating sdcard i have different situation. after first run and creating new user first command was "apt-get update" and op+ lost network when downloading updates.

No. WiFi working on lower network speed then lan. I bought this device to be used as a network storage with speeds around 30 MB / s, but unfortunately, this unit useless ... Shame for orangepi.org