Tritium H5 and Le Potato actually usuable as a desktop

lanefu

So I built some fresh Armbian images with dev kernels, and setup ubuntu mate and ran them on my tritium h5, and my le potato... and like I've got slack running in chromium n stuff, and desktop switching is pretty decent... and that's without acceleration.. just good 'ole brute force.

Basically my mind is blown that its usable and I'm going to retire my c2d dell desktop that's on my KVM and finally use an ARM SBC as a desktop!

Haha, haven't used the Potato in a while?
So i tried the nightly libre computer official image with the mali mail drivers, but the desktop was flaky. The unaccelerated Armbian image was fast and even faster than tritium h5.

I just got a emmc module for potato yesterday, so im working on an ansible job to do my desktop setup quickly then ill cutover to le potato.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, lanefu said:

The unaccelerated Armbian image was fast and even faster than tritium h5.

The Tritium boards have fixed regulators, capping their maximum frequency right around 1 GHz, whereas the Potato has proper frequency scaling (within the limits of Amlogic) so achieves 1.4-1.5 GHz peak (impossible to know which at any given time thanks to blobs)

The Tritium boards have fixed regulators, capping their maximum frequency right around 1 GHz, whereas the Potato has proper frequency scaling (within the limits of Amlogic) so achieves 1.4-1.5 GHz peak (impossible to know which at any given time thanks to blobs)
Yep. A positive spin is i can just set governors to performance and that big heat sink obliges. Something to be said for stability.

It would be interesting to compare my opi prime to potato at some point

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lanefu said:

Yep. A positive spin is i can just set governors to performance and that big heat sink obliges. Something to be said for stability

I agree.  The Tritium boards are "least common denominator" type boards, if I need a Pi-shaped board for running a tester or monitoring station, that's it.