Mainline ethernet driver H3

nxtv2.0

Keep in mind, that 4.9 is till in work-in-progress state.

My OpiPC runs on megous' 4.7 kernel for some time now and the ethernet works fine.

The last time I tried 4.9, it doesn't even booted, but it was back around rc2.

In the meantime, he also updated/switched the ethernet driver to montjoie's one, which is also a "wip" source tree.

As you can see, a lot of "work-in-progress" code is present in the currently available 4.9 kernels, so some breakage can be expected.

I'll test the 4.9 kernel once Linus decides it is stable enough and after the sunxi guys do their magic to patch it for my Opi.

My image of last month was using montjoie's sun8i-emac-wip-v5, but few days ago, I've upgraded the kernel+modules (without redoing full image) using orange-pi-4.9 from megous, I didn't faced any issues.

BTW, I've almost forgot to mention, I'm using the built-in WiFi of OPiPlus2E, not the EMAC. Maybe I should try it and report here...

EDIT : Effectively, I have problem with orange-pi-4.9, and fortunately I always keep old image for a while, and I've tried sun8i-emac-wip-v5 from last month, it is working fine.

I will probably revert my eMMC setup back to sun8i-emac-wip-v5.

EDIT2 : Interestingly, I've just verified one of my OPiPC+ which was updated the same day with orange-pi-4.9 too, and EMAC seems to work fine.

(I will have to rebuild a new image for OPiPlus2E to see if it still fail.)

As I said, the build I've done a month ago, Oct 27th to be exact, worked, but not the newer one.

We need to figure out which bug has been introduced to be able to fix it.

Until we found it, the only way you can get networking is to use the built-in WiFi of the OPiPlus2E.

EDIT : For those who wish to get my kernel from Oct 27th :

http://www.megafileupload.com/83l9/orangepiplus2e-20161027.tgz

With your kernel and dtb and lib/modules the ethernet led lights up

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

The distro uses ethernet by:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.1.30 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf

What could be wrong?

We need to figure out which bug has been introduced to be able to fix it.

Until we found it, the only way you can get networking is to use the built-in WiFi of the OPiPlus2E.

Huh? https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2966-opi2e-mainline-ethernet-not-working-any-more/?p=20438

This works. And since no one takes the time to compare DT stuff and to send a patch as PR this will remain as it is now.