Accidental Documentation Find

lanefu

I just wanted to suggest to put it under tutorial, then I saw that: that you can just dd onto a SD card.   Etcher for god sake :huh:

I just saw @lanefu left a comment, can you ask him as well to refer to Etcher - we have tried so hard to get people away from dd :(

2 minutes ago, Tido said:

I just wanted to suggest to put it under tutorial, then I saw that: that you can just dd onto a SD card.   Etcher for god sake :huh:

I just saw @lanefu left a comment, can you ask him as well to refer to Etcher - we have tried so hard to get people away from dd :(

LOL.... I personally hate etcher with a passion, but yes it's the tool encourage use over dd for sure... Even I've accidentally nuked my drive on accident when dd-ing an armbian image.

This is all cool and dandy... But if you want to build your own U-Boot or kernel, Armbian does not make it easy. There is official documentation on how to build Armbian. This makes sense when you want to build the whole system but not so much if you just want to build the U-Boot and the kernel. Yet the fact that Armbian uses reasonably recent U-Boot and kernel, together with a bunch of patches, is interesting and I wanted to get to the U-Boot and kernel sources w/o having to run the whole Armbian build machinery. So I took a dive into the Armbian build scripts.

I guess there's some work to be done to change that perception.... or need to make it easier...   Id like to think that the armbian build stuff makes things easier...  i suppose some people just want to build on their local machine...... but we package the damn sources as a deb.. so like how hard is it?

22 minutes ago, lanefu said:

I guess there's some work to be done to change that perception....

And this perception
"is installing Armbian. The good folks (or... the one person running the show?)"

I wonder who he's talking about :lol:

Good read, I need things like that to learn more. So thank you for that.

aha, and why?
I still run 1.2.1 which you can still download and it works like a charm.

I tend to write images by sshing into whatever ARM board is nearby and dont want to install a massive electron app when dd is right there.

13 hours ago, lanefu said:

dont want to install a massive electron app

you're right, this is indeed my only electron-app,  because its additional benefit exceeds the storage it needs. 80MB ==  6,6 pictures  (a 12M pixel picture = 2,4MB )   it is worth it for me.