Binary Archive Installation Location

Android3000

Apologies for this noob question but I am still new to Ubunto.  If a piece of software is currently available as a binary archive only and the accompanying installation advises unzipping it to "a folder" and running the software from this place I presume this is not really advisable, as would be the same in the Windows world.  In which case, should I install the software in, say,  /usr/share and run it from there or is it okay to just unzip it and run it out of the /home/[username]/ directory?

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Android3000 said:

Apologies for this noob question but I am still new to Ubunto.  If a piece of software is currently available as a binary archive only and the accompanying installation advises unzipping it to "a folder" and running the software from this place I presume this is not really advisable, as would be the same in the Windows world.  In which case, should I install the software in, say,  /usr/share and run it from there or is it okay to just unzip it and run it out of the /home/[username]/ directory?

Thanks! 

/usr/local/bin should be the place for that and binary has to be the compiled for armhf/arm64 otherwise it will not start at all. If that is just a script, it should work out of the box ...