Will hardware accelerated graphics be coming to the cubietruck with the Lima drivers?


bopbopbop
 Share

0

Recommended Posts

Thanks for Armbian, I very much enjoy it on my Cubietruck server.

 

Forgive my ignorance if I have misunderstood something, but I believe that the Lima opensource Mali drivers will shortly be part of the kernel.

 

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/5/8/1122

 

What is the likelihood of Armbian supporting a hardware accelerated desktop using these drivers for the cubietruck and similar boards? It's an old board and is well supported by the project as a server already, so it would be understandable if it was out of scope.

Edited by bopbopbop
Link to post
Share on other sites

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

7 hours ago, bopbopbop said:

but I believe that the Lima opensource Mali drivers will shortly be part of the kernel.

 

Drivers are inside the Armbian kernel for several (4) months.
 

7 hours ago, bopbopbop said:

What is the likelihood of Armbian supporting a hardware accelerated desktop


Those drivers are not contributing to overall desktop experience and are sadly in an alfa state. Performance is bad.

Support for Cubietruck remains unchanged. Allwinner A20 will be around for some time ... have you noticed this? (currently only in kernel 5.1.y or with nightly builds)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah right, that makes sense. I know the pinephone is using a Lima supported graphics chip so I'm rather hopeful for a big burst of progress.

 

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone

 

No, I hadn't heard of the Sata changes - that's ace, thanks for letting me know! That should make a big difference to my set up!

16 hours ago, bopbopbop said:

Thanks for Armbian, I very much enjoy it on my Cubietruck server.

 

Forgive my ignorance if I have misunderstood something, but I believe that the Lima opensource Mali drivers will shortly be part of the kernel.

 

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/5/8/1122

 

What is the likelihood of Armbian supporting a hardware accelerated desktop using these drivers for the cubietruck and similar boards? It's an old board and is well supported by the project as a server already, so it would be understandable if it was out of scope.

 

Edit:ha, and also perhaps forgive me for my rather dreadful mid-spelling of accelerated in the title!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, bopbopbop said:

I know the pinephone is using a Lima supported graphics chip so I'm rather hopeful for a big burst of progress.


Lima project is generic, unrelated to Pinephone or other specific hardware. I seriously doubt this (yet another remix of A64) will have impact on anything. Development, especially community driven, is slow and sometimes painful process.

 

On 5/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, bopbopbop said:

No, I hadn't heard of the Sata changes - that's ace, thanks for letting me know! That should make a big difference to my set up!

 

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/05/13/how-one-line-of-code-tripled-allwinner-a20-sata-write-performance/
 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, Tido said:

it would be interesting to know, if it has the same effect on: Allwinner R40 (sun8i) SoC features a Quad-Core Cortex-A7 ARM CPU


It is faster, but R40 runs at half (dvfs is broken) CPU speed which means numbers are not alright. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

0