Orange Pi 1: set size screen ? [solved]

gaara

Hi all,

First, thanks to Igor for his job with Armbian: Scripts, compilations etc. Very apprecied so far.

I own an Orange Pi 1 based on A20 SoC.

Armbian kernel 4.4.1 is installed, no problem. (I have used the Igor's script to upgrade it)

But I'm trying to change the bin file in /boot/bin, it seems to not work, no change if I set 

screen0_output_mode = 5

In orangepi.fex

Of course, I'm using the bin2fex & fex2bin exec on my desktop (Kubuntu 16.04 x64), and I copy the new bin file in /boot/bin/orangepi.bin

The goal is to change the first resolution, because I would like to solve this problem (see the photo, the display exceeds) on my DIY tablet.

Have you an idea to solve it (the bin file problem, or the size screen in general) ?

Thanks! :)

post-1186-0-44965700-1462123958_thumb.jpg

It's possible to fix this but you will need to play with u-boot (2015.10 and newer), there are parameters for overscan x and y. I need to set this once - to grab HDMI signal with video grabber. This video was originally similar to your picture, but with proper u-boot overscan its normal:

Boot into u-boot and try this:

setenv overscan_x 20
setenv overscan_y 20
saveenv
reset

If you are using some unsupported video resolution than there is some more work.

Armbian kernel 4.1.1 is installed, no problem. (I have used the Igor's script to upgrade it)

But I'm trying to change the bin file in /boot/bin, it seems to not work, no change if I set 

screen0_output_mode = 5

In orangepi.fex

Mainline kernel doesn't use script.bin configuration at all. To change resolution you need to edit kernel command line in boot script (boot.cmd, and recompile it to boot.scr).

Wow thanks for your answers.

I didn't know the bin file wasn't used for Armbian.

So, I tried to set this lines, with stoping the autoboot:

setenv overscan_x 20
setenv overscan_y 20
saveenv
reset

I tried also

setenv overscan_x 200
setenv overscan_y 200
saveenv
reset

(After "saveenv", I can see some lines that MMC(0) is modified.)

But no changes. However I see at the boot:

..onnected: Setting up a 1920x1080 hdmi console (overscan 0x0)

(I can't see the beginning)

Does the overscan has not been saved ?

Edit:

I found a solution, with this lines:

setenv video-mode sunxi:1920x1080-24@60,monitor=hdmi,overscan_x=50,overscan_y=50
saveenv
reset

Thanks you very much to help me, now I must to calibrate this :)

On 5/1/2016 at 1:02 PM, Igor said:

It's possible to fix this but you will need to play with u-boot (2015.10 and newer), there are parameters for overscan x and y. I need to set this once - to grab HDMI signal with video grabber. This video was originally similar to your picture, but with proper u-boot overscan its normal:

*snipped video*

Boot into u-boot and try this:

setenv overscan_x 20
setenv overscan_y 20
saveenv
reset

If you are using some unsupported video resolution than there is some more work.

I know this is a necro-bump, but I cannot send private messages.

Could you possibly tell me the exact steps you performed to boot into u-boot and fix the overscan? I bought an Orange Pi PC, and spent about 4 hours last night trying to fix the overscan. I must admit that while I'm not new to computers, Linux is a mystery to me and I found it difficult to find more precise instructions on fixing this issue. I'm sure this is a case of me being utterly dense, but I'm quite disheartened that I could not figure it out. 

Or is it better to edit boot.cmd? I could not find a boot.cmd on my system, and I'm not sure how to rebuild it into boot.scr.

My apologies for the no-doubt foolish questions, but if you could let me know how to fix the overscan I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!