Orange Pi Lite 2 - sound over HDMI

mario76

Unfortunately, No

Even for me, the official linux image still does not play sound, but the Android one does.

If you want this board to server you media, then go with android. But if you really want to do this on linux, then install something like soundwire and use another piece of hardware to play sound

Another option would be using a dedicated sound card, by sacrificing a USB port

If you take a look at Linux Mainlining Effort page, you will see that in fact nobody works, niether has worked on audio over hdmi for an allwinner SoC.

26 minutes ago, Localhost said:

If you take a look at Linux Mainlining Effort page, you will see that in fact nobody works, niether has worked on audio over hdmi for an allwinner SoC.

That's not true. HDMI audio works for example LibreELEC images for Allwinner boards (A64, H3 and H6) and there is an effort to mainline support for it. But that's only for newer SoCs, from A83T onwards (all with DW-HDMI core). I guess I should change status on that page.

Hi, shouldn't this issue be mentioned on download page? If I would have seen this, I would have bought another card...

By the way, 2 years later, still no solution to have sound over HDMI on this card? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Elt said:

shouldn't this issue be mentioned on download page?

Not exactly a critical issue worth mentioning. Most of people around here are operating in CLI world anyway. Also, this is amateur / community backed project - if you feel something needs to be changed, like you just expose, welcome to join listening and acting on users demands (nothing personal). There are around 1000x more asking for something, giving nothing in return.

2 hours ago, Elt said:

By the way, 2 years later, still no solution to have sound over HDMI on this card? 

I believe stock Orangepi Debian supports this function since the day one while mainlining - development from scratch mainly on community / developers own expense - takes years and you can't really bother anyone.