[Odroid C2] GUI Issues

Guest Brezel

Guest Brezel
Hi,

I'm testing the Odroid C2 image (Armbian_5.10_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_3.14.67_desktop) on my C2. Flashing and verifying the image onto an emmc went fine. I made adjustments to the boot.ini ("setenv m "1280x1024p60hz"" and "setenv vout "dvi""). No problems creating a user and (first) booting into the gui.

After a reboot I encounter problems with the gui resolution and colors:

1. most parts of a window is now black

2. no matter what I change in boot.ini, I don't get higher resolution then 1280x720 with black bars at the bottom and right

(pic had to be taken by cam since a screenshot doesn't show the black window thing; note the black bar at the bottom, screen is set to 1280x1024, but I only get x720)

In the Odroid forum I found a fix for the "alpha-blending issue" (http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=19403). I put it into rc.local and after reboot the black windows are gone; the resolution problem remains. 

Changing resolution in the gui (application menu -> settings -> display) is not possible, there are no other resolutions then 1280x720 and refresh rate is unchangeable at 0.0 Hz.

please help

Thank you

Guest Guest

I flashed the eMMC twice.

First a college of mine flashed it on Linux (dd + sync) using the emmc2microsd-adapter which went into a microsd2sd-adapter. The SD-Reader was a built-in Realtek PCIe Card Reader.

I thought of a flashing issue and did the flashing again on windows using Win32DiskImager (not the standard version; there is an Odroid-Version which support verify (http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid_flashing_tools#using_win32diskimager)). Adapter were the same, Reader was a Ricoh PCIe Card Reader.

I encountered no problems flashing the emmc with both methods, but I had the graphic issues on both tries.

The copy-procedures used would be at the origin of the graphical bug you observed. The dd && sync procedure is not really adapted to copy an entire functional partition. DD (and may be the windows procedure) can generate errors and data loss in the case for example, of some unreadable logical block addresses present in the source drive. The rsync procedure, a file-based copying procedure, is strongly recommended

I never use the emmc storage devices and i don`t know how the odroid sbc manage them. Usually (structurally), with the Odroid-C2 as others arm-sbc, the boot file has to be on a SD slot but the rootfs can be externalised to other ports supporting USB drives or emmc cards.

You can have the entire system on an emmc card, for example using the hardkernel SD/eMMC adapter but if you want to copy the root functional partition, from a SD cart to an emmc support, Igor and colleagues have integrated the rsync procedure in the Armbian OS as the "nand-sata-install script".

To use it, just flash at fisrt, with dd or your win-program, the Armbian OS on a SD card. Proceed to the first boot on your Odroid-C2 with the SD, then directly run "sudo nand-sata-install" in a terminal with the eMMC card with an ext4 partition, inserted in your Od-C2 to the emmc port of the back of the board. The nand-sata- procedure will make automatically the job, transferring to your eMMC support the root partition of the OS. Rebooting with both inserted, the SD and the emmc cards, the OS will be with the root files on the emmc and could be without strange bugs.

Exploring deeper this forum would give you more information (here for starting documentation).

@Guest_Brezel_*

On C2 we use this workaround script to set the screen resolution since it's not working from boot loader - I haven't figured out why:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/c2_init.sh

Consider C2 in development phase so things are not working well yet - this is the same for official images / kernel.

Guest Brezel

@gil44:

Before creating this thread I tried booting the image of a SD Card, which didn't work at all (c2 didn't boot). With the emmc installed both emmc and sd were recognized (as mmcblk0 + p1/p2 and mmcblk1 + p1/p2)

Is it correct that if I use the "nand-sata-install script" the boot partition stays on the sd card and the root partition is moved to the emmc? So I need both sd and emmc to run armbian on the c2?

@Igor:

How do I set the resolution in c2_init.sh?

it is curious...

by my side, modifying the boot.ini file effectively modifies the screen resolution of the C2...

@Guest_Brezel_* : did you edit the boot.ini file as sudo?

with the C2, I also experienced some black windows using rsync directly to transfer the rootfs to a USB drive (-aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found",) The nand sata script resolved this and some other bugs...

In the case of Guest_Brezel_*, because he uses directly the dd to load the SD/emmc card, it could also comes from somewhere else...

@Guest_Brezel_* : it depends of what you want to do with your sbc. Personally I use the c2 to develop a low cost open source and portable gps car navigation system.

The system manages very large binary files (>2Go) and writes a lot of data. The C2/Armbian with Navit gives good results but before transferring the root partition out of the SD, I burned a lot of SD cards, quickly destroyed.

USB storage devices or eMMC are good to be used to enhance the integrity of the system.

Guest brezel

@gil44:

Before I used an unofficial Debian Image downloaded from the Odroid forum. I didn't encounter graphic/resolution bugs (resolution set via boot.ini) in them, but others (kernel updates problems: apt doesn't find the new kernels, but wants to remove the old one and unsatifactory settings in cpu governor ("performance"=all cores at full power or "hotplug", which disables 2 cores)).

boot.ini was edited with nano logged in as root or directly after flashing on windows using notepad++.

Primary use up to now is pyload (with usb-hdd attached) and openvpn-server